Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2005, 03:33 PM

Default Re: FULL TIME SNG\'s

I'm 27, single, an engineer by day, and play about 20 hours a week 8-tabling online, the vast majority of which is SNGs. For the past five months now, by poker income has exceeded my "real" income, and in three of the five, it's more than tripled it.

And I'm still not seriously considering quitting my job.

I guess the biggest reason is security and benefits, but the social implications also have a lot to do with it. I'm about 90% sure I could make a comfortable living playing poker, but I doubt I'll ever find out unless I luck into a major (i.e. 6-figure) multi-table tournament score or something.

To put it bluntly, it's laughable to me that someone would quit a job because he "might" make $300 a week playing poker. Will you be happy making $300/week three years from now? Don't you want to work towards a career goal?
Old 02-10-2005, 03:36 PM

This is retarded, I've been working at blockbuster making $6.25/hr, weird ass hours never enough to pay the bills. Im 22, I have a GED no further eduaction. My average check for a 2 week pay period is about $300.

I finally decided to make the jump to $10 sngs this week, Ive been playing $5+.5 for way too long but I was afaird to make a jump and risk going bust because I may never be able to reload.

Anyhow the games arent that much tougher, I had a 38% ROI at 5+.5, and after my first 100 Im showing a 28% ROI at the $10 3 tabling, which is WAY more than im making standing around checking in DVDs all day.

It really makes me want to quit, but I fear burnout or being one of the "bad run" posters and being homeless. Although when Im running good it's definately -EV to step away and go to work :-/

I guess Im just posting because I feel this is the type of question a person in my line of work should be thinking to himself. I think if I had a reasonably good job the answer would be make time to play on the side but trust the job security, atleast in my humble opinion.
Old 02-10-2005, 04:04 PM

Try to live off the $150 a week, build your roll while living off that and see how things go.

Look at the job as a freeroll, it's no fun playing low limits and watching 95% of your profits vanish each week.

Lori
Old 02-10-2005, 04:06 PM

Who can live off of $150 a week? Do you live in a box?
Old 02-10-2005, 04:08 PM

I lived off far less than that for a very long time.

Lori
Old 02-10-2005, 04:10 PM

Okay, it was around that and for a couple of years now I think about it. It seemed a very long time.

Lori
Old 02-10-2005, 04:11 PM

my average check is 300$ for 2 weeks, which is roughly 150 a week. its not easy. i live in davenport, iowa.
Old 02-10-2005, 04:13 PM

My thoughts would be as follows:

Work out what you need as a minimum and stick to it for longer than you would like, withdrawing the minimum.

When your roll is big enough, you could step up which would probably only result in a small gain, but ALL the gain is yours rather than paying to survive.

When you reach that point, things start to change fast as you can still add to your roll and gradually increase your standard of living.

Lori
Old 02-10-2005, 04:14 PM

Oh, and get a neteller account and learn to play micro limits.

Take advantage of each and every bonus you can find reading the internet forum, even if you don't take the maximum.

Lori
Old 02-10-2005, 04:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I lived off far less than that for a very long time.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's insane. I guess I'm used to the prices around DC. You'd seriously be hard-pressed to pay rent for $150/week here.