Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2005, 05:25 PM

Default Re: Paradigm Shift

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, I now regret my choice of words, but not the sentiment behind them. So I ask again, do you consider Condi a representitive of the political beliefs of African Americans.

Cody

[/ QUOTE ]

I seem to keep popping up in here every once in a while, but here's my answer to that...

Maybe Ms. Rice doesn't share the same political beliefs as many black people in the United States. She's got her particular ideology and she sticks to those beliefs. Fair enough. Meanwhile, clearly neither President Bush or Senator Kerry shares the same beliefs as all white people in this country? I don't think it really matters if she shares the same beliefs as a lot of other black people, she is who she is. Republican, Democrat, black, white, whatever.

If people really want true equality, which everybody goes on endlessly about, then it shouldn't matter if she appeals to all blacks. That's not her job. Her job is to be a good politician and true to her own ideologies. To that, I'd say she's done a fairly good job for herself.
Old 02-09-2005, 06:35 PM

"If people really want true equality, which everybody goes on endlessly about, then it shouldn't matter if she appeals to all blacks. That's not her job. Her job is to be a good politician and true to her own ideologies. To that, I'd say she's done a fairly good job for herself."

Agree 100%, but that wasn't what I was refering too. I was saying that I dislike the assertion that the Republicans are leading the way in minority politicians. Neither side is really accepting of minority point of views, although Bush tried with the "amnesty for illegal aliens thing". Condi is a great politicain, but to say that she's a significany minority appointment seems sorta fake to me. Although politics is just the art of making a ton a fake stuff palletable, so I suppose it's just more of the same.

Cody
Old 02-09-2005, 07:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was saying that I dislike the assertion that the Republicans are leading the way in minority politicians.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you need to think the logic of this statement through a little bit more. Racial and ethnic discrimination exists irregardless of the political views of the people being disciminated against. Bush has shown that the color of a persons skin doesn't matter to him and in my mind that's how it should be. Appointing an Afro-American to be Secretary of State isn't some token appointment for crying out loud.

As far as blacks voting for Bush. He got more than 5% of the black vote and actually increased his total from the 2000 election. Britt Hume did an interview with Juan Williams (a journalist who happens to be black who I'd be will to bet didn't vote for Bush [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]) and Juan stated that in the battle ground states where Bush campaigned he made some significant increases in soliciting support from Black voters. Certain Bush stances on issues played very well with black voters. Williams stated that Condi Rice was eminently qualified as well as people like Andrew Young. My sense was that there are many blacks that don't vote Republican that take a lot of pride in seeing Condi Rice in the position that she's in and acknowledge Bush for making these appointments.
Old 02-09-2005, 08:25 PM

Default Re: Guns, Germs and Steel

[ QUOTE ]
So you're saying that Condi is what you would consider the "average black women", or rather that most black women in America would say she represents them?

Cody

[/ QUOTE ]
Considering what she's done in her life, I wouldn't say she represented most women, let alone most women. She doesn't even represent most men. So I don't know what your point is. But I would hope that all women, especially afro-american women would try to acheive the type of success she has.
It's too bad she had to suffer the idiocy of a couple of hardline dems who are far inferior to her as far as being qualified for her current job.
Old 02-09-2005, 10:13 PM

1. I think the terms "culturally black" or "culturally white" are, generally speaking, a largely useless and divisive load of crap.

2. I understand that you may not have meant it it the same sense that race demagogues mean it when they use the phrase.

3. I read that the Dem Party has recently been losing blacks, and black votes, to the Repub Party.

4. I think that linking political affiliation to "culturally black (or white)" is a bit too strong. If anything, "culturally black (or white)" should mean an identification and pathos with the history and culture of that race--not specifically an alignment with the majority political views of that race. Culture does not equal politics although there is some broad overlap.

5. The term "culturally white" has been abused by race demagogues, and some black kids have suffered as a result, due to peer pressure against studying hard and getting good grades, etc...because that is associated with being "culturally white". Funny how those who make the biggest issues out of race often end up doing more harm than good.
Old 02-09-2005, 11:56 PM

I agree, perhaps I got the wrong message accross (I knew I was screwed when Cyrus sorta agreed with me. J/K Cy [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]). I believe in what I'm trying to say, but I don't know that there is a way to convey said message without sounding racist. That said, I don't want anyone thinking that I don't like Condi or anything, but alas, I suppose what's done is done.

Cody
Old 02-10-2005, 12:00 AM

Jesus [censored] Christ their point is that Condi is a "tool of the Man", that is why people say she is not blacker than black or down with the hood.
Old 02-10-2005, 04:58 AM

For those who might be interested. Here's an interview with Jared Diamond, the author of Guns, germs and steel. He is talking about his new book "Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed."
The interview starts about 8 mins into the broadcast, and I found it interesting

Interview
Old 02-10-2005, 05:18 AM

Default Uneasy Shifting In Seat

[ QUOTE ]
I knew I was screwed when Cyrus sorta agreed with me.

[/ QUOTE ]

And I knew everything in my post would get ignored except for my agreement with the term "culturally white" as soon as I posted it.

I truly thought the other point about the seemingly quite shifts in paradigm was more important, but, what can you do.
Old 02-10-2005, 02:12 PM

Default Re: Uneasy Shifting In Seat

Sweet Mary, It was a joke. Just a joke. That was why I included "J/K" after it with a little smilely face. I like the points in your post, infact I agree with it.
My joke however, focused on the fact that your name is something of a red flag to the more right leaning people on this board. THat's it, that's all.
To repeat, great post, just learn to laugh a little, I'm not going to attack you on sight like some others do, it's okay.

Cody