Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2005, 01:53 AM

Default Re: The Last Frontier: Undeveloped AK.

[ QUOTE ]
In general, I agree. But not in this hand, on this river.

[/ QUOTE ]

What does this river have to do with it?
Old 02-06-2005, 01:54 AM

So do I. And I know occasionally some such instances occur on the river, and I wish I were better at recognizing those

You will in time.
Old 02-06-2005, 02:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
In general, I agree. But not in this hand, on this river.

[/ QUOTE ]

What does this river have to do with it?

[/ QUOTE ]

What I meant by that was, in the posted hand, I think that (1) there's a better chance on the river that Villain will bluff with a worse hand than call with one, and (2) I think he'll pretty much always call with a better hand.

I'm not entirely sure about either of these things, but that's what I meant. I think checking the river is best. And, after that, I probably would call, though I wouldn't really expect to win.

I think you played the hand fine on every street.
Old 02-06-2005, 02:21 AM

When I have a hand that has less of a chance of winning then losing, I bet if I go first.

If I have a hand where I think someone will call with a worse hand, I bet the river.

If someone will bet when I check, but fold when I bet, I will check call.

For this hand, hero had 0 reads. In those spots, I will bluff more for several reasons.
Old 02-06-2005, 02:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If I have a hand where I think someone will call with a worse hand, I bet the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

But I don't think I'm being called by a worse hand here.

[ QUOTE ]
If someone will bet when I check, but fold when I bet, I will check call.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought since he raised the flop, called my 3-bet and called my turn bet, there was a strong possibility that he'd bet if checked too and he'd certainly fold if he had a worse hand.
Old 02-06-2005, 02:28 AM

By the way, here are three hands I think Villain might very well fold to a river bet: A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], and A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. How likely is it that Villain has any of these hands? Not so very likely, in my opinion, though I do get cold-called with AKo with some regularity, and the possibility that that's what Villain has is something to consider, even though pushing him off of any of these hands will merely avoid a chop.
Old 02-06-2005, 02:30 AM

Is this situation common enough that a river bet to induce a fold is better than a check to induce a bluff?
Old 02-06-2005, 02:31 AM

Makes sense.

I do not disagree with your line, I think you played the hand fine. I would have played it the same way.

However, I enjoy playing devil's advocate and discuss different ways to play the hand.
Old 02-06-2005, 03:01 AM

Default Re: sults and thoughts

Villian had K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and MHIG. Thanks to all for the interesting discussion. Personally, the biggest development I've gone through as a player in the past few weeks is mixing up my game and taking different lines, and playing unimproved overcards on the river. Discussions such as this one have contributed to that.
Old 02-06-2005, 03:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Is this situation common enough that a river bet to induce a fold is better than a check to induce a bluff?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not in this hand, in my opinion. Among other things, I think your unknown Villain will call with AxKc sometimes, and when that's his plan, bet-folding and check-calling the river would be a break-even proposition for you, basically (though technically not quite, if I'm doing the math correctly, because of the rake). But often Villain will hold other hands. And occasionally (though rarely) he'll bluff-raise with his AxKc, which would cut into your expectation.