Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2005, 07:53 PM

Default Re: Hey Cyrus, Why So Quiet on the Election?

[ QUOTE ]
HUGE victory for the Iraqi people,

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

By voting today, the brave Iraqi people

[/ QUOTE ]

Jesus, this conservative love for the iraqi people, almost made me cry.

What a bunch of hypocrites.
Old 01-30-2005, 08:00 PM

Because the liberals dont know what else to bitch about.

And to think some people still think Iraq was simply about oil. There are alot better conspiracy theories out there, do some research!
Old 01-30-2005, 09:25 PM

Default Re: Because only dumb guys take it seriously

[ QUOTE ]
I am absolutely disgusted by the behavior of both the liberals and the conservatives on this forum, and especially the liberals.

[/ QUOTE ]

What have we done?
Old 01-30-2005, 09:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There are alot better conspiracy theories out there, do some research!

[/ QUOTE ]

I like the "Hey kids, let's-put-on-a-democracy" theory best.
Old 01-30-2005, 10:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Those who want the Iraqi people not to have food on their plate just because it would be an embarassment to that which they hate.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not as simple my friend. Or the US goverment do whatever they want or the Iraqi people dont have food on their plate. Thats white or black thinking.

[ QUOTE ]
I am absolutely disgusted by the behavior of both the liberals and the conservatives on this forum, and especially the liberals.

[/ QUOTE ]

Could be because you feel more confortable with the conservative ideas?

By the way, you made some valid good points, lets discuss them and cut the crap "I'm above liberals and conservatives", I dont know how that helps any discussion.
Old 01-30-2005, 10:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Those who want the Iraqi people not to have food on their plate just because it would be an embarassment to that which they hate.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is typically backwards conservative logic. Conservatives promoted and praised sanctions against Iraq, even after it was clear that the toll was hundreds of thousands of dead Iraqi kids. Now that they're culpable in murdering them outright, they pat themselves on the back for putting "food on their plate," and pretend that opponents of starvation, murder and torture like myself hate their wonderful accomplishments. Reprehensible, but par for the course.

BTW, your equation about infrastructure and prosperity inevitably marching toward freedom could have been written by Stalin.
Old 01-30-2005, 10:33 PM

Default Re: 200,000 \"Zarqawi goons\"?

Pretty lame election violence for having 200,000 insurgents. I guess they must of been voting...
Old 01-30-2005, 11:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I am absolutely disgusted by the behavior of both the liberals and the conservatives on this forum, and especially the liberals.[ QUOTE ]

What have we done?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

John, you weren't here so he can't be talking about you.

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 01-31-2005, 03:55 AM

Default No comment

I will just re-post here what I already wrote on a BJ website. (Yes, Blackjack players also talk about politics!)

I never doubted that the people in Iraq would (try to) turn out to vote as best as possible. This would be consistent with pre-election polling which showed two things:

That Iraqis are, in their majority, happy to see Saddam out of the picture and they want the Americans out as soon as possible, too. In most polls, Iraqis, in their majority, tend to blame the Americans for most of the unpleasant things happening to them or to Iraq in general, after the invasion, including events that are clearly not of the Americans' making. (All those polls have been conducted by neutral or pro-war parties, such as FoxNews.)

So, taking all this into account, what are the Iraqis supposed to do come election day? Vote, most probably, and as best as possible.

The Americans have promised that the new government will get to decide what happens after that. The Iraqis at large cannot confront the Americans directly and "ask them to leave"; only the insurgents are doing that, indirectly. (Note here the polls indicating general sympathy from the Iraqis polled towards the insurgents. There is very little sentiment expressed against the insurgency, despite the latter's religious bent.)

So the only thing that each Iraqi can do is to cast a vote for his or her preferred ethnic and/or religious "candidate" and hope that the candidate delivers.

BTW, the main concern of most Iraqis right now is not democracy or any such luxury, but safety and then the chance to work to make a living. If Iraqis could truly choose freely and effectively, they would most probably opt for a strong man! A "benevolent dictator". (Of their preferred ethnic and/or religious clan, of course.)

--Cyrus

CNN Report : Bush calls election a 'resounding success'

<font color="white"> . </font>
Old 01-31-2005, 04:01 AM

Default P.S. on your parade

P.S. from the same CNN Report :

[ QUOTE ]
Because of security concerns, names of the 7,000 candidates vying for office were not revealed until the final days of January.

[/ QUOTE ]

In other words, the Iraqi voters got to know who they could vote for, a few days before the election.