Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2005, 10:55 AM

Default Re: 10/20 Mirage: Turn Action

hi nick

betout on the turn. you're heads-up and have correct odds to foldout. you will also have correct odds to call a check-raise in that event.

this hand is a good example of when we stop thinking about odds and opponent knowledge, except in exteme cases, and instead, gloriously apply the maximum amount of betout weight that can be mustered, not thinking but knowing that you are going to win. you must try to trigger his calling reflex at a level loud enough to make him think that you are trying to do just that. as you apply betting weight you must crunch down to get the fold. you don't just betout, you must betout and crunch. how you effect your crunching technique is the tell all for your foldout chances. there are times when you will follow through on your foldout bet with another type crunch that commumicates to your opponent that you want him to call, not because you are overtly triggering his calling reflex, but rather because he thinks you are hoping for him to raise. and that's acceptable. what is not acceptable is to follow your foldout bet through with a crunch that tells your opponent that you want him to fold. if you have been running badly, after a foldout bet, instead of following through with a crunch that tells your opponent you do not want him to fold, you will more likely err and relay a communication over to him that you want a fold, since crunching down properly after a foldout bet requires that you try to induce your opponent to fire back, and you might be a little glove shy after a particularly bad battering and afraid that the level in which you attempt to induce his bet will not be on the correct threshold. you may fear that instead you may actually trigger his call or raise, something that you may have been getting more than your share of. and it is this fear that causes him to call or raise.

when you are losing, therefore, it is not a good idea to go for the foldout unless you have a lot of outs. it's tougher to get the fold because when you go for the fold, you must stick your neck out. if, you have been getting (i can't find it in my little webster's) guillatined (hope that's right), sticking your neck out yet again will be hard to do correctly. your opponent will sense your fear, and cut the rope or, trigger the tine if you will.

you have enough outs, even if you're running badly, to go for the foldout on the turn.
Old 01-26-2005, 12:15 PM

i dunno about the 10 game but the 20/40 at the mirage this is a CLEAR turn bet for a multitude of reasons. when i played there last i had A5 in this situation against a woman mirage regular (she knew the names of everybody) and in the exact same situation as i reached for chips to bet in stride she said, "dont bet...take it." and i did as she instructed.

also, if i were to check here i have basically given up all my bluffing equity on the river if she has AK, AQ...or he in this case.

getting better hands to fold is easier at the mirage than getting worse hands to call...so do it and you win pots that would have otherwise cost you money...now THAT contributes a LOT to a winrate.

-Barron
Old 01-26-2005, 01:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
" Looks like you are trying to steal."

[/ QUOTE ]

Usually means he has a premium hand.

[ QUOTE ]
When BB just smooth called the flop I thought AK/AQ maybe AT or a PP like 88 or 99.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with Clark and Sin. They fold all of these hands too often HU. So bet.
Old 01-26-2005, 06:52 PM

Default RESULTS and thoughts

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

" Looks like you are trying to steal."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Usually means he has a premium hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

These were my thoughts exactly but I figured he would three bet the flop with an overpair or AJ.

Results:
I chickened out on the turn, the river blanked off and I figured there was no way I was getting him off his hand so I checked. He flipped over his AKo and I mucked. I appreciate all the responses and had I known such venue specific advice I would definitely not have made the mistake.
Thanks again.
Old 01-26-2005, 07:44 PM

Default Re: RESULTS and thoughts

[/ QUOTE ]Results:
I chickened out on the turn, the river blanked off and I figured there was no way I was getting him off his hand so I checked. He flipped over his AKo and I mucked. I appreciate all the responses and had I known such venue specific advice I would definitely not have made the mistake.
Thanks again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, now you know. Next time, bet the turn, and you'll get the Mirage reward of seeing him muck his AK face up.