Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2005, 06:05 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)
Default Re: So Passive

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
For some reason I never wait for the "safe turn"...because Im not sure it's safe.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not suggesting that hero wait for a safe turn. I'm wondering why in this case he didn't raise this turn.

/mc

[/ QUOTE ]

because I thought there was a good chance I was drawing to 3 outs. I didn't think I had a hand worth protecting. no matter what I did, I'd have a questionable hand out of position against 2+ opponents. maybe this is a cop out, and maybe this is a good reason to fold it preflop, but that's what I did [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-19-2005, 06:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But when you play in more aggressive games where the majority of the pots are 3 or maybe 4 handed these blind defense situations become very important. Defending with a hand like 96s (or 87o or something like that), where your implied odds on flopping a pair are tremendous and your risk of domination is minimal, becoms a crucial part of the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

So is the thinking here that the initial raiser will often have medium to large connectors, or small pairs, and seeing the flop for one more bet can yield a hand that will hold up against him if he doesn't improve? And that you'll get a lot of bets with this hand, since the original raiser will tend to stay aggressive?
Old 01-19-2005, 06:12 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
But when you play in more aggressive games where the majority of the pots are 3 or maybe 4 handed these blind defense situations become very important. Defending with a hand like 96s (or 87o or something like that), where your implied odds on flopping a pair are tremendous and your risk of domination is minimal, becoms a crucial part of the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

So is the thinking here that the initial raiser will often have medium to large connectors, or small pairs, and seeing the flop for one more bet can yield a hand that will hold up against him if he doesn't improve? And that you'll get a lot of bets with this hand, since the original raiser will tend to stay aggressive?

[/ QUOTE ]

think about my relative position. if I flop a big draw, I'm in great position to check raise the field. if I flop something weak, I can often check and call one bet closing the action. I often get to see 4 cards cheap. sure, sometimes it'll come back to me for 3 or 4 bets, but a lot of the time I'll get to peel cheaply. 4 cards in a big pot for 2 SB is a good deal
Old 01-19-2005, 06:16 PM

By betting the flop, you want MP2 to raise you so you knock MP3 and CO off their overcards.

Or you know where you stand. That's why I said in my original post that without this flop bet, you're [censored].

You can't be afraid to get raised in this game, (not saying you are) if you are passive out of position your gonna get taken advantage of.
Old 01-19-2005, 06:21 PM

I tend to experiment a lot when I play. it's tough because things always turn out differently, but I feel like on multiple occasions I've bet out on this flop and I've ended up on the turn with top pair, no clue where I'm at, with 3 people having position on me.

what is comes down to is you people think (1) I have a hand worth protecting, and (2) I'll be able to protect it. for some reason, on the flop, I only agree with #1, and the turn I agree with neither.

but no matter, the consensus says to bet the flop, and that's what I'll do in the future as long as it works for me
Old 01-19-2005, 06:27 PM

This is my primary game now, and I'm either running real well, or I found my niche in life...either way, I absolutely believe you have a hand worth protecting here, could you be up against an overpair...sure..but the time to find that out is on the flop.

I posted this in Mid-High. But I mean look at this nonsense.

Preflop: Hero is BB with K, K.
UTG calls, UTG+1 raises, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, CO folds, Button calls, SB 3-bets, Hero caps, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP3 calls, Button calls, SB calls.

Flop: (24 SB) J, A, T (6 players)
SB checks, Hero bets, UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, MP3 calls, SB calls, Hero calls, UTG+1 calls, MP3 calls.

Turn: (15.20 BB) J (5 players)
SB checks, Hero bets, UTG+1 calls, MP3 folds, SB calls.

River: (18.20 BB) A (4 players)
SB checks, Hero bets, UTG+1 folds, SB folds.

All I know is SB had 22.

My point is there is no set way to play this game, I can't even call it Poker sometimes.

web page