Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2005, 11:18 PM

Default Re: guidelines/faq - final draft - last chance to comment

its not dead, give it more than an hour.

i think tight players still have PFR's around 8-9. the 9+ comes from raising more marginal situations. sub 8 is getting pretty selective and passing up on some 'standard' raises around here. i can extend it to 7, but below that is rare among the more solid players here.

20% VPIP-SB is way too tight at the micro limits. again, sub 30 may be fine with your choice of tables or times of playing. but "much lower than 30" is way too tight. i haven't seen anyone's stats much below that. i can lower it if i see some evidence, but i tried not to stress a specific number and said the range, already quite wide, varied by style/selections.
edit: my first sentence clearly states this varies greatly by table selection and opponents' style.

for the WSD, again over 58 is possible.. but it really begins to flirt with psychic. illunious probably had a high WSD b/c he was extra selective PF and had stronger hands that average going to showdown.

my intent was to simply provide the typical range, and then elaborate on what too high or too low a number may indicate. i think i mentioned playing style allowing for players to go beyond the typical range more than enough. illunious is the exception, but does demonstrate that overanalyzing stats is often not constructive.
Old 01-25-2005, 03:27 AM

BUMP BUMP BUMP!
Old 01-26-2005, 01:00 PM

"Your introductory book should often be followed up with more advanced materials such as Small Stakes Holdem (SSH) by Ed Miller, et al, Theory of Poker (TOP) by David Sklansky, and Holdem for Advanced Players (HPFAP) by David Sklansky, Mason Malmuth."

This is complete nit-picking, but, if you want to follow the "Clarkmeister Curriculum," you might want to list TOP as the next book to read, followed by SSH/HPFAP. If TOP laid some of the groundwork for SSH it might make sense to read TOP before SSH.

By the way BT I see you are from Philly. I live in Lansdale. Are you an Eagles fan by chance? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-26-2005, 01:08 PM

yeah, that was an order independent list, but i'll swap TOP and SSH. i live in NJ, work in philly. definitely trying to calm the nerves before the big game. got about 10-20 people showing up at my house to watch it on my projector.

TO won't be the real TO even if he plays and they lost Chad... not looking good. it feels like the sixers vs lakers all over again... or the flyers vs detroit to a lesser extent. congratulations, you made the championship, now play against the greatest team of the past 10 years.

-------------

no response yet from Mat on the sticky approval.
Old 01-26-2005, 01:42 PM

[ QUOTE ][*] provide context: Recreate the hand by providing all relevant information (reads, pot size, action, your thoughts, etc) you had at the time. Often this means you should stop the action at your decision point. Since you did not know what would happen after your decision, neither should anyone else.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry if this is too late, but inserted here might be something about PT/GT+/PV stats had *at the time the hand occurred* (not gathered over the course of the session).

Thinking in these terms helps reinforce using these #'s as context for the determining Villain-types, rather than, "villain seemed pretty ordinary" or "i've seen villain do crazy stuff so far" which is really a bit subjective.

just my $0.02.
Old 01-26-2005, 04:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
yeah, that was an order independent list, but i'll swap TOP and SSH.

[/ QUOTE ]

I forgot - I think Clark also had Middle Stakes HE in there too, after TOP, before SSH. I have not read it though - is it worth a mention?

[ QUOTE ]
i live in NJ, work in philly. definitely trying to calm the nerves before the big game. got about 10-20 people showing up at my house to watch it on my projector.

TO won't be the real TO even if he plays and they lost Chad... not looking good. it feels like the sixers vs lakers all over again... or the flyers vs detroit to a lesser extent. congratulations, you made the championship, now play against the greatest team of the past 10 years.

[/ QUOTE ]

As long as No. 5 and Westbrook are healthy they can score points. Also, remember that the Pats did not blow out either of their opponents in their two Super Bowl wins, and how often has Brady had to go against a secondary with 3 Pro Bowlers in it? The Pats themselves were a big dog going into their first Supe victory, so anything can happen.
Old 01-28-2005, 01:29 PM

Default Still waiting...

Will it ever become a sticky?
Old 01-28-2005, 02:08 PM

Default Re: Still waiting...

[ QUOTE ]
Will it ever become a sticky?

[/ QUOTE ]

i just requested an update and feedback. at best, i don't think they'd let any pokertracker, pokerstove, etc references stay in there. at worst, i think they'd only allow posting guidelines and not the FAQ/PT/resources section.

if its just posting guidelines, do we still want a sticky?
Old 01-28-2005, 02:58 PM

I think that would still be worth it.
Old 01-28-2005, 03:15 PM

I completely understand their position about not advocating products which are not their own within an official stickied post. So here is something that we might be able to do to still get an easily accessible FAQ which addresses these things (like PT stats posts).

If the stickied posting guidelines goes up, get a link to the Comments and Suggestions Thread, and we can then have a link from there to the original FAQ as one of the responses. I think this may satisfy all of the powers as it is no longer an officially sanctioned advocating of products. It's an indirect way that I think distances the official 2+2 things from what we do as individual posters here.