Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-14-2005, 03:53 PM

Default Re: Prince Harry wore Nazi uniform to party

[ QUOTE ]
The amount of attention being given to this is absurd. It was tasteless and dumb, but I mean c'mon, the top story everywhere for 2 days? It was a fancy dress costume, not a political endorsement.

Further proof that the monarcy should be abolished not just for the good of the UK (and its sanity), but for the good of the royals too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't a large part of the UK's tourism industry based upon the royal family? Buckingham Palace and such. If there were no sitting royals perhaps it would cut down on those who come to the country to gawk at them. This is a pretty half-assed reason but it is all I could come up with. Also, if there were no royal family it would surely put thousands at the tabloids out of work. Can't have that.
Old 01-14-2005, 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Further proof that the monarcy should be abolished not just for the good of the UK (and its sanity), but for the good of the royals too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe, but I think it is a good idea to have the head of state (more ceremonial duties) and the head of the executive branch be different people.
Old 01-14-2005, 06:51 PM

Well he is german.
Old 01-14-2005, 09:20 PM

As the original poster I'd like to say that I wasn't personally offended by Harry's actions and I have nothing against the concept of the Royal family.

However, he must have known there was a good chance he'd get photographed, he's punched enough photographers in his time. Surely he knew what the backlash would be, it's not as if the British press is something new to him. Obviously he just doesn't care much for the British public who line his pockets. His failure to opologise properly is very poor form.

I admit, calls for him to be forced to watch Schindler's List are quite ridiculous.
Old 01-14-2005, 09:24 PM

Princess Die is fair game, if she'd been wearing her seatbelt she'd probably have survived as her bodyguard did (the only surviver and only one belted up). I guess she thought she was above that.
Old 01-14-2005, 10:01 PM

good point. but all you do by discussing and disecting every boneheaded move by the prince and the rest of his family is help to perpetuate the silliness.

(YES, i see the irony in my post, that's the point. get it? funny ha-ha [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img])
Old 01-15-2005, 04:39 AM

Default Left-handed Zaratustra

[ QUOTE ]
I'm a Nietzschean who believes "where the herd drinks, the well is poisoned".....

However, I will accept your left-handed compliment, because it may be a long time before I receive another from you.

[/ QUOTE ]

The things you find "left wing" (e.g. fuller perspective abt 9/11; selective rather than universal application of privatisating in economy; refusal to accept any official policy as the Bible; refusal to accept the Bible as official policy; etc) are actually original Americana!

It is funny that I spend a portion of my time as a militant for lower taxes (in specific policies) or less government intervention (ditto), and then get flak for being a left-winger on the grounds that I do not believe all Muslims are monsters, all Bush wants is peace and properity for mankind or all abortions are murder!

..As to the German philosopher, I hope you have not fallen for the standard trap, where the reader takes him for an elitist. The disdain he felt for the "sheep" was because his work was misunderstood and religion had a firm hold on people's minds. (And his Superman is quite unlike what most people understood.)
Old 01-15-2005, 09:40 AM

Default Re: Whatever they have prescribed for you

[ QUOTE ]
But I'm a Nietzschean

[/ QUOTE ]

You are very deluded. You are infact one of the herd.
Old 01-15-2005, 06:56 PM

Geez....
And what qualifies you to determine who is deluded and who is not?
And what qualifies you to determine who is part of the herd and who is not?......

Perhaps your criteria is that all who believe like you are enlightened and all those who do not are slobbering-knuckle-dragging-neanderthals.... Is that your view?

Have you ever considered is POSSIBLE for others to disagree with you, and yet be free thinkers...... Probably not....
So which one of us is truly a free thinker?
Old 01-15-2005, 07:03 PM

In this day and age it's going to be hard to come up with something that is considered truly original in the political or philosophical realm. Anyone could be accused of being a member of the herd.