Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2005, 08:48 PM

Default Re: here is a hand I still have not figured out.

[ QUOTE ]
I did not fold this, I called.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, that's what I said when I wrote "would be worse". You said "I should have seen this coming", implying that in retrospect you'd find a fold there.

You shouldn't, and it's not close.
Old 01-10-2005, 09:20 PM

I like the fold, especially if you see him as a conservative player. I don't believe he/she is truly bluffing and you could very well have them dominated as they're playing a wired pair 7's to kings, but why risk it at this point? Blinds are low enough that this won't really hurt you that bad to fold and wait for a better situation. Muck those aces

Robbie
Old 01-10-2005, 09:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like the fold, especially if you see him as a conservative player. I don't believe he/she is truly bluffing and you could very well have them dominated as they're playing a wired pair 7's to kings, but why risk it at this point? Blinds are low enough that this won't really hurt you that bad to fold and wait for a better situation. Muck those aces

Robbie

[/ QUOTE ]

if he's a conservative player...then we assume that he's got 55 or 66? only if he's a loose player does he have a lone 6 (or whatever the pair was, i forget). if you feel so confident of your abilities to read the hand that you can put him specifically on one of two pocket pairs, then go for it. it seems like the other 99% of us feel like you've almost certainly got to be ahead. if you're ahead most of the time, to the tune of 60-80%...then as lorinda said, it's a bad beat, so what? move on. this is assuming that this guy's playing at a level that his Bankroll can handle. if this tournament means 1/2 his bankroll, then he's forced to make mistakes like folding here.
Old 01-10-2005, 09:57 PM

if you assume he has 55 or 66, then why are you calling his all-in? I'm not trying to argue, just trying to see what you're saying. After reading all the reply's, I can definately see calling the all-in. I still like the fold this early in the tournament because it doesn't cost him a lot of chips that he's already invested.

Robbie
Old 01-10-2005, 10:18 PM

I don't understand why you would fold just because it's early in the tournament. You eventually need to get chips to make it to the top three, and to me this is a clearly advantageous call. If he beats you, say nice hand and enter another SNG. I think by far his most likely hand is an overpair. If he has 6-6 or a 5, that's just poker and you make a note as to how he plays.
Old 01-10-2005, 10:26 PM

sorry, missunderstood
Old 01-10-2005, 10:37 PM

Default Re: I went out on a hand I am still kicking myself for

[ QUOTE ]
As for me I went out on a hand I am still kicking myself for.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I did not fold this, I called.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most folks will assume from what you wrote, that you are kicking yourself for calling in this situation.

Adanthar merely said you are (1) results oriented or (2) weak tight. If you are kicking yourself for not folding here, I think he's right.

On a side note, quitting poker is not the answer either. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Keep posting hands, and thinking about hands you've played, and you're bound to improve.

But realize, some folks will post harsher responses than you think you deserve.
Old 01-10-2005, 11:26 PM

I wonder how anyone feels about my read on this.

He is a conservative player without too much experience dealt JJ or QQ. He isn't comfortable re-raising pre-flop so just calls.

He believes you have AK and is happy when no overcards come on the flop. He doesn't understand that pot odds (or implied odds) allow him to protect hand with a pot sized raise and thus goes allin. (He could also do this with 77 or 88, but my intuition is that he bets this way to avoid losing a pot with a premium hand.)

Alternative is that he is very inexperienced and goes allin with nuts when he should build a pot. I think first read is more likely.
Old 01-10-2005, 11:56 PM

I would put him on 10-JJ...

I would call simply because I don't know who would make a play like that if they held trips or quads...

plus...if you double up like you should, you are much more likely to finish in money now that you have twice as many chips as everyone else...even if it is early

WHen I double up early or win a huge pot, I usually always get into the money...just because you can now pick your spots better
Old 01-11-2005, 02:22 AM

99.99% chance you folded the best hand.