Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2005, 02:36 PM

Default Re: Take a break from school?

Name a job you couldn't get with a business degree. Unless you are looking to be a doctor or a sound engineer...
Old 01-07-2005, 02:38 PM

Default Re: Mark...

My point is, most people, never figure out what they "want to do" until many years out of college, at which point a degree in that field doesn't mean [censored]. Just get the degree part over with.
Old 01-07-2005, 02:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Name a job you couldn't get with a business degree. Unless you are looking to be a doctor or a sound engineer...

[/ QUOTE ]

If I HAD to guess what Ill be doing in 10 years, it teaching. (nothing businessy)
Old 01-07-2005, 02:40 PM

You don't need a degree in "education" to teach. Especially in large cities that need teachers or Private Schools. They pay you and then send you to grad school.

(My whole family is teaching, and ultimately something I will do---Business Ethics on the College Level)
Old 01-07-2005, 02:55 PM

I'm in same situation as you, I have like 90 hours worth of general crap and no major (just kinda hopped around from CS, journalism, economics, Asian studies, etc). I've taken pretty much all of 2004 off to chill out.

However I'm planning to get back into school this summer, the time off has helped me realise where I want to be in 5 - 10 years and now I know what I need to do to get there.

It's really hard to get back into school though, despite everyone telling you to get a degree. Just take time off if you need it, and come back to school when you're ready.
Old 01-07-2005, 03:01 PM

a lot of people have expressed concern that it is difficult to go back when you stop, which i understand. a good friend of mine stopped school early with intentions of going back and has been out for a couple years. i just dont feel this is the case with me. i have no job that i would get "attached" to, i just play poker. also, i love school, learning, and being a student. it would be very hard for me to NOT go back.

also, i have already signed a lease for next year, so ill be here. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 01-07-2005, 03:05 PM

not many that cant be overcome

i know it will be a little difficult for me to get back into going to class -- i never was a fan of that anyway -- also i dont have a degree yet and dont quite get the respect that i would with it -- some at work and some with my family --- i think that it wont be the same now either, when i actually graduate it wont be with many of the classmates that i worked with in most of my classes will not be in my graduating class

i miss a lot the soccial aspects of it -- most of my best friends are ones that were made there and i rarely see them now --- i dont get nearly as much booty now either

good luck with your decision

cheers
Old 01-07-2005, 03:07 PM

I took a break after my 3rd year. During that time I decided to transfer to a tech school and finish up there. Most of my credits transferred and I only had two short semesters before I was done.

I don't regret it all. In fact, I feel this was the best decision for me. The tech school allowed for more personal attention rather than the large classes. I felt I learned much more in that environment.

Now that I have been out of school for tens year, I have a job unrelated to what I went to school for anyway. I find that when you look for your initial job, they always want to see that you have a degree but beyond that, it's all about experience. I got into my current job at an entry level because my sister worked there in another department. Since then, I have advanced through hard work and experience.

If I had it to do all over again, I would have skipped the 4-year college and went right into tech school.

Anyway, I think I got a little off topic there but taking a break ended up being a good thing for me.
Old 01-07-2005, 03:14 PM

I havent read the other replies.

Get your degree, BS is preferable to BA.

It does not matter if it is in what you want to work in or not, the important thing is to have the degree (from an employment standpoint). If you are going to pursue grad school, it also doesn't matter that much what your undergrad is in. You may have to take a few extra classes to fill in some holes, big deal.

You are in your senior year. If you really want to take a semester off, co-op some place where you think you may want to work after you graduate to see if you will like it.

Again, other than the degree being a BS or BA, the exact field is not really important when it comes to getting a job.

Also, you can always get a second degree (under grad or grad) at a later date.
Old 01-07-2005, 03:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I can name tons. programmer. structural engineer. pretty much any science job.

--turnipmonster