Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2005, 09:28 AM

Default Re: And so does this thread

[ QUOTE ]
Sadly, pointless threads are often more interesting that college football. College football, on the other hand, is exponentially more interesting than college basketball.

[/ QUOTE ]

not when you're drunk and cheering in the student section
Old 01-02-2005, 11:37 AM

Default Re: college football blows

college sports

good: watching young athletes put forward real effort, lots of times outweighs the pro game in this aspect, makes it real fun to watch

bad: points shaving, BCS

overall in my book, college sports are awesome, your mileage may vary
Old 01-02-2005, 12:27 PM

MLB < NBA < NCAA Basketball < NCAA Football < NFL

If the NCAA went to a playoff system (even if it just involved the top 4 or 8 BCS teams), college football would be as good or better than the NFL though.

[ QUOTE ]
Now it has neither tradition, nor a legitimate championship game. It's just one big joke.

[/ QUOTE ]

Clarkmeister's comments are dead-on. The point of the BCS was to sacrifice bowl traditions in favor of crowning true champions, but it is a complete failure at doing that. Of course, it is doubtful that we'll see a true playoff system in college football because of the money involved in going to a bowl game -- that makes it very lucrative to involve many, many teams and spread the bowls out, instead of using 3 - 7 of them on some sort of playoff amongst a limited number of teams. Like most things that stick around past their usefulness, the BCS will remain until a more financially lucrative situation presents itself.
Old 01-02-2005, 12:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
NBA < NCAA Basketball

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you kidding me?!?!

All the good players are going straight from high school or leaving in their first and second year of school.

Out of the top however many college basketball players how many of them are juniors or seniors? Not many, because they are all pro.

The talent pool is just horrible horrible horrible.
Old 01-02-2005, 12:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
NBA < NCAA Basketball

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you kidding me?!?!

All the good players are going straight from high school or leaving in their first and second year of school.

Out of the top however many college basketball players how many of them are juniors or seniors? Not many, because they are all pro.

The talent pool is just horrible horrible horrible.

[/ QUOTE ]

The NBA is ridiculously boring to me for many of the same reasons as the MLB. While the wins by the Pistons and the Red Sox have temporarily lifted the "championships are bought, not won" image, by and large these two pro leagues lack any sort of parity or unpredictability.

Also, in the case of the NBA, I'm one of the people who prefers action that places teamwork and effort over flashy play. This style of game is more prevalent in the college game than in the pro game.

And I don't really think the exodus of college/high school basketball players is a huge reason to prefer the NBA. Of course the NBA's skill level is higher than the NCAA's. That'd be true whether or not people were allowed to leave early -- the NFL is obviously head-and-shoulders above college football, skill-wise.

It's just a fact that the college game, while less skilled than the pro game, will offer a different flavor and style. I don't enjoy the pro basketball style much at all.

Sidenote, I expected some irate baseball or hockey fan to be the first response. Fact is, those two sports are at the bottom of the barrel right now. I'd rather watch televised poker (also in the crapper) than watch pro baseball or hockey. That is, if pro hockey ever comes back.
Old 01-02-2005, 12:54 PM

wow! with all the posting around here and all the responses to this thread, i expected to get blown out of the water with this post. turns out everyone agrees! awesome.
Old 01-02-2005, 12:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

While the wins by the Pistons and the Red Sox have temporarily lifted the "championships are bought, not won" image

[/ QUOTE ]

1 New York Yankees $184,193,950
2 Boston Red Sox $127,298,500

And I wasn't able to find anything on basketball (weird, huh), but isn't their a salary cap?

Another thing - you are far more likely to find a "dynasty" type team in NCAA football than in NFL football.

[ QUOTE ]

Also, in the case of the NBA, I'm one of the people who prefers action that places teamwork and effort over flashy play. This style of game is more prevalent in the college game than in the pro game.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is fine, I think that is why people prefer the college games to pro, because they play a different game. I think that in college though the basketball players are so bad it makes a big difference.
Old 01-02-2005, 01:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Red Sox have temporarily lifted the "championships are bought, not won" image, by and large these two pro leagues lack any sort of parity or unpredictability.

[/ QUOTE ]

1. NY Yankees 183,335,513
2. Boston 125,208,542
3. Anaheim 101,909,667
4. NY Mets 95,754,304
5. Philadelphia 93,219,167
6. Chicago Cubs 91,101,667

They definitely didn't buy it.
Old 01-02-2005, 01:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

While the wins by the Pistons and the Red Sox have temporarily lifted the "championships are bought, not won" image

[/ QUOTE ]

1 New York Yankees $184,193,950
2 Boston Red Sox $127,298,500

And I wasn't able to find anything on basketball (weird, huh), but isn't their a salary cap?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd say having a payroll 66% as large as the Yankees is a significant disadvantage. Of course, you could also throw up other numbers. I'm quite sure the Sox have a large payroll compared to most teams, but when the Yankees can out-spend everyone there's no excuse for not making the Series every year. And usually, they do, which is why I hate baseball.

Basketball does have a cap, but somehow it still seems to have much, much, much less parity and turnover than the NFL. The NFL has a great balance right now where teams can be very good (but not unbeatable) for 5-7 years or so before they start to fall apart a bit. And other than a few teams that fall into that semi-dynasty category, there's a lot of turnover in the standings otherwise. I just don't see this kind of dynamic in the NBA. Granted, I gave up on following the NBA too closely about four years ago, so maybe it's gotten better since then.

[ QUOTE ]
Another thing - you are far more likely to find a "dynasty" type team in NCAA football than in NFL football.

[/ QUOTE ]

I consider this a negative, not a plus, and is one of the reasons I ranked the NFL higher.
Old 01-02-2005, 01:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Red Sox have temporarily lifted the "championships are bought, not won" image, by and large these two pro leagues lack any sort of parity or unpredictability.

[/ QUOTE ]

1. NY Yankees 183,335,513
2. Boston 125,208,542
3. Anaheim 101,909,667
4. NY Mets 95,754,304
5. Philadelphia 93,219,167
6. Chicago Cubs 91,101,667

They definitely didn't buy it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Like I said in a response, I realize they had a large payroll compared to most of the league. I just meant that public perception of the MLB has shifted a little bit because, hey, the Yankees didn't win. Which, when the next highest payroll in the league is only 66% of yours, is a bit ridiculous.

That probably would have encapsulated the point better. I'll rephrase.

[ QUOTE ]
While the Yankees' playoff ousting and the Pistons' championship win have temporarily lifted the "championships are bought, not won" image...

[/ QUOTE ]