Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-30-2004, 05:59 PM

Default Re: A few of the top Party 5/10 6-maxers . . .

[ QUOTE ]

As for an analysis I do have some thoughts but perhaps it is better I pm you?

[/ QUOTE ]

On the contrary, I think that if you've found a flaw in his game you should post it for all to see [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].
Old 12-30-2004, 06:28 PM

Your choice. You can post it here if you want, others may learn from the discussion.

And I don't mind if it exposes holes because:

1) If they're legit I plan to close them.
2) I'll (probably) be changing names soon anyways. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] So they'll have to figure out who I am all over again. (Do a good enough analysis I might pm you with my new name, if you want it (once I figure out what it is).
Old 12-30-2004, 08:17 PM

I notice you play a tough attacking game with lots of steals preflop (32% in my stats) and postflop and generally mixing up aggression well (sometimes going overboard) so it is hard to determine whether you have a hand. I’m curious to what extent you rely on reads when making moves? I have a hunch you depend a lot on them. I'm also guessing your variance is quite high with this style of play?

As for weaknesses I think you put in a little too many loose calls. Here is one example I think is more than just a tad loose on both the flop and the turn, especially considering there is one more left to act.

You are in the BB with Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. MP limps, SB completes, you check. (3 SB)
Flop comes 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
SB bets, you call, MP calls. (6 SB)
Turn 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
SB bets, you call, MP calls. (6 BB)
River 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Check, check, check.

In the SB you play a hard attacking game very different from my own. Is raising A3o and A4o in the SB against a steal standard for you? Raising QJs in the SB with one MP limper (I call). I'm not comfortable enough in early position to make those kinds of plays.

All the key stats are close to those considered optimal on this forum (WTSD and W$SD are exceptions but your winrate suggests you make up for that). I only have 3K of your hands though.
Old 12-30-2004, 11:46 PM

A few names I have to add to this list:

ImolaRed04
rask0nik0v
___1____
Old 12-31-2004, 12:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I notice you play a tough attacking game with lots of steals preflop (32% in my stats) and postflop and generally mixing up aggression well (sometimes going overboard) so it is hard to determine whether you have a hand. I’m curious to what extent you rely on reads when making moves? I have a hunch you depend a lot on them. I'm also guessing your variance is quite high with this style of play?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's pretty accurate. The steal number is just about right. I have good success with both blind steals and blind defense. Postflop I sometimes have a tendency to push to hard (or call down) with marginal hands against the wrong people. That's something I've tried to get under control but I still catch myself backsliding every now and then.

As far as high variance, hell yes. I actually made some adjustments about 2 months ago to cut down on the variance. It worked, but my earn dropped too much in the process. So I made some adjustments back in the other direction, and for the most part it's working out again, but I'm still tinkering with a few things (but that's an ongoing process. How bad is the variance? Well since Xmas Eve I dropped about 250 BB, until today (my worst downturn by far at 5/10, but I was still up for the month (barely)). Today I made it ALL back (maybe about 10 BB short) in about 1500 hands. I am now a poker god again [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] (at least until my next session)

[ QUOTE ]

As for weaknesses I think you put in a little too many loose calls. Here is one example I think is more than just a tad loose on both the flop and the turn, especially considering there is one more left to act.

You are in the BB with Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. MP limps, SB completes, you check. (3 SB)
Flop comes 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
SB bets, you call, MP calls. (6 SB)
Turn 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
SB bets, you call, MP calls. (6 BB)
River 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Check, check, check.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah that's a little loose, that happens to me sometimes - especially when I'm multi-tabling. It's another thing I'm making a conscious effort to avoid. Although in some cases I may do it because of the opponents involved and planning to try to steal on the turn (small pots are easier to steal than large pots).
[ QUOTE ]

In the SB you play a hard attacking game very different from my own. Is raising A3o and A4o in the SB against a steal standard for you? Raising QJs in the SB with one MP limper (I call). I'm not comfortable enough in early position to make those kinds of plays.

[/ QUOTE ]

I pretty much defend with any A, with exceptions for some opponents, for possible steals from the BT. I tighten up some for steals from the CO and even more from MP3. I have good success with blind defense as a rule. Raising QJs. This is something I've added recently. I pretty much have started raising with any 2 suited broadway cards from the blinds. I used to just call. I've also started limping with some hands from EP that I used to fold with (and folding some hands I used to play). More tinkering.

[ QUOTE ]

All the key stats are close to those considered optimal on this forum (WTSD and W$SD are exceptions but your winrate suggests you make up for that). I only have 3K of your hands though.

[/ QUOTE ]

The other area where I'm probably weak is value betting on the river. But I've also been inducing a lot of bluffs lately. My won at showdown has always been on the lower end, but I tend to win a lot of hands before it ever gets to showdown. I used to be more mindlessly aggressive postflop, now I'm more selective (believe it or not) and my reads are getting better. They have to with the style I play (as you mentioned above). It gets tough when multitabling but I am getting better at it. Some of the really loose players still drive me nuts sometimes though and are really almost impossible to read. I just have to listen to the betting patterns more in that case (another work in progress)

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 12-31-2004, 12:34 PM

I am interested if netcrusher posts here, I have mixed it up with him a bit. I used to think he was a rock but now I think he plays very well.

--turnipmonster
Old 12-31-2004, 02:04 PM

Yeah i played against you the other day, and i noticed you were a little more selective with your agression.

You were in the SB, I was in the BB, and we both flopped straihts. Mine was the nuts, yours was lower end. I lead flop, and all hell broke loose. Turn paired, so I did not 3 bet you. You freakin hit a backdoor flush and took the pot.

Don't change your name yet, cuzz I wanna be able to find you. I am coming to take your lunch money. JK
Old 12-31-2004, 02:43 PM

Yeah, in most cases I'll bet a flopped straight, even the idiot end, aggressively in a blind vs blind situation. If there were more people in the pot it would be a different story.

I'm not sure exactly what the board was. Were we both using both hole cards? I supect yes, (actually we must have, although one may have been common). That also makes a difference.
Old 12-31-2004, 04:23 PM

it was a fun one... i dont have access to the hand history right now... but I think i can rember it pretty well.

MAxx: 89o in bb.

Buggs: 34 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]s completes sb after i believe a week button limper.

flop =567 w/ one heart. we cap flop.

turn is a 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] i lead, you raise, i call.

river= [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ch/bet/call

u played it proper. i would have 3bet turn most of time, but i thought that it was very likey that you had filled up... thus i just called your turn raise... and river.

in my previous post, my statement about your selective agression was unrelated to any other statement that followed. (i'm hungover and not real coherent)i had just noticed that in the past you seemed buck-wild aggressive, but the other day it seeemed like you were picking your spots a little more carefully.
Old 12-31-2004, 06:36 PM

Ah - OK. I thought you were being sarcastic about me being more selectively aggressive based on the lunch money comment and implying that I overplayed my hand there. And based on what you posted I didn't think I did (overplay). Glad you said I played it right.

I do still overplay at times, but nowhere near as much (and once in a while it's even intentional to induce action on later hands).

Constructive criticism is always welcome by the way. I think my game is decent, but it can definitely be improved.

See you at the tables. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]