Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-25-2004, 03:21 AM

Default Calling someone on a string bet = ultimate form of angle shooting

Ok. If I'm not mistaken you aren't allowed to do it because you are supposedly doing it to get a read on a person and see if they react to what looks like a call and then you raise... or something of the like.

But you see people calling string raises like rabid dogs not because of this reason, but just because they don't want to call a raise.

I say bah! That is more of an angle shot than anything.

I'd say I've done it accidentally and been called on it like 3x in my whole life, but each time it pisses me off. The other night at Sycuan in a $4/8 game I picked up AQs and instead of just picking up a big stack of chips and dropping 8 in the center I did this...

I picked up a stack, counted out 4, moved to another stack and counted out 4, all right next to my rack or two of chips. I'm looking completely at my chips and not at anyone else while I do this. I then grab 4 and toss them out, then grab the other 4 and toss them out. I was in seat 9. I look over at seat 1 and see him put $4 out. I then tell the dealer that I raised. Then like 3 people jump down my throat and say that I was doing a string raise.

Yeah F U guys, did it look like I was trying to mess with you by doing this?

The dealer of course says yeah its a string raise because he doesn't want to have to call the floor over and explain that he wasn't even paying attention in the first place to notice that I was trying to raise.

Anyways, to all you that call string raises like it is going out of style, don't be such an angle shooting nit next time!

...if people want to get nitty about angle shooting with chips then start policing people who pull out a stack of chips and then check with that hand, or someone who picks up a big stack of chips and counts off say 4 stacks of 4 to call a raise in a $4/8 game, then goes to the felt with that hand and looks like they are going to put out another 2 stacks of $4 and raise, but then pulls their hand back with the remaining chips.