Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-18-2004, 07:55 AM

Default Re: Worse than merely a bad run....

I think a well developed ego is required to play "good" poker. You have to steal a pot every now and then and that takes a lot of nerve to bet out with junk if you think they will fold to you.

You need to reraise with the best hand and that is scary. Capping the pot on any round takes some nerve. The act of setting down to outplay nine other people with your money on the line isn't for the faint-hearted.

If you don't have confidence, you have a big leak in your game.

An overdeveloped ego will get you in trouble. If you have FPS, can't let go of a hand when you are beat, draw to thin when the pot is small or keep trying to bluff a calling station, then you have an even worse leak in your game.

I might just coin a new phrase, Insufficient Ego Syndrome (IES) makes you check top pair, fold the best hand, fail to raise with the nuts and promotes weak tight play.
Old 12-25-2004, 12:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Busterstacks is exhibiting that other sign of a certain sort of player: the one who criticizes all other players, has feelings of false superiority and bitterly leaves the table when, though better player that he is, he loses it all and has to leave the table, cursing under his breath such things as: "...yea, inexperienced players, yea, mediocre jerks,....yea, yea, yea"

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny, that's totally my opinion of Phil Hellmuth.
Old 12-25-2004, 06:13 PM

Wow. You dragged this thread up for that? Nobody cares, and I mean that without a tinge of bitterness.
Old 12-25-2004, 06:18 PM

If you are playing online, I hope you are aware that the flop would have been different if you had played the crap hands instead of folding them.