Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2004, 08:13 PM

Default Re: My Parents Still Don\'t Know...

Have a look at this thread in the archives.
Old 12-03-2004, 08:41 PM

Pay off their mortgage for a Christmas present.

That would be a good way to bring up the subject. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-03-2004, 10:54 PM

I would not approve of my son becoming a professional poker player. I think poker is a great avocation but a terrible profession.

No benefits no security and no guarantee of a future. You think you are doing great and you think it is going to go on forever. If there is one thing I have learned in life is that nothing is guaranteed. Day traders thought they were invincible. They made a killing for a few years. A few got rich and are now successful investors. Most went broke. Balance in life is key.

Don't give up poker but get an education, build your resume and a professional network and play poker on the side. You will look back on this as the best decision you ever made.

Don't put all your eggs in one basket. its -EV
Old 12-04-2004, 12:42 AM

Say you've got something very important to tell them, then announce you're gay. When you admit you were just kidding and in fact you're a pro poker player they'll be so relieved that they wont care.
Old 12-04-2004, 08:10 PM

I am in the process of quiting my "day" job and told my parents of my plans. I was very lucky and they were supportive of me. It is something that is very hard though. I also told them this is a temp. thing and that I have plans to go back to work in 6 months. I sure hope I dont have to. Thanks to all the posters on here for the get advice. I have been learking around for a while and just started posting.
Old 12-05-2004, 11:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's been almost 2 years since I have gone "pro" and my parents still don't know. All my friends and siblings know and I trust them to not spill the beans until I give the sign. The problem is, my parents (like most parents) are old-fashioned. They think that the only way to make a living is to get a job. I am afraid that if I tell them, they will both simultaneously have a heart attack. Any tips on how to deal with this dilemma?

[/ QUOTE ]

Have more faith in you parents - just tell them they will cope.
Old 12-05-2004, 11:31 AM

What if the parents have heart attacks and die?
Old 12-19-2004, 03:48 AM

Ok, I know this is an old thread but am just going through looking at some i havent seen so heres my 2 cents...

First of all there's a good/ funny article by Daniel Negreanu about telling his mother (prob on his site).

Secondly, not all parents are the same. My dad taught me to play poker when i was five and always encouraged me when things werent going well. He's absolutely stoked about my 'job'. My mother was a lot harder to crack, but as someone else said, success is a great persuader. When i told her about the five star hotel i was flying to for New Year (and other things) she came round.

If all else fails try the career equivalent of this trick (happened when I was younger, by phone):

Me: You know, a tattoo on the forehead doesnt look nearly as bad as it sounds
Parents: Whaaaaaaaaa??????
Me: Just kidding, it's only on my arm
Parents: Oh thank God

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-19-2004, 12:15 PM

I stopped worrying about what my parents thought about how I lived my life over 20 years ago when I moved out of their house at 18.

Of course, if they need a loan or something to help make ends meet now, I am glad to lend a hand.