Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2004, 01:09 PM

Default Re: Sweet to shoot.

I'm getting a .22 and another bigger style rifle.

You can never have too many guns. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

-Zeno
Old 11-23-2004, 01:40 PM

I would recommend a springfield armory M1A used or new.

Springfield M1A

Its basically the civilian version of the M14, semi-auto in .308. A bit pricey but a lot of fun. Could also be used as a deer rifle with scopes etc.

If you prefer the black rifles I recommend this:
Bushmaster M4 Type

I like the izzy flash supressor better than others I've fired, and this one just epitomizes an evil black rifle. I have one on order myself.
Old 11-23-2004, 01:45 PM

Default Re: What should my next gun be?

[ QUOTE ]
thompson center is the single shot you speak of. high quality.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah there we go, thanks! I read about those years ago and saw a guy shooting one once. Pretty cool just to swap out a barrel and get a whole different, and highly accurate, gun.
Old 11-23-2004, 01:56 PM

I change my vote to the mini-14 that gun is a classic.
Old 11-23-2004, 03:06 PM

Default Re: I agree with Jake

The Ruger 10/22 is probably the most popular .22 rifle made, and has about a gadzillion after-market accessories and upgrades. It has a cult following who spend more on upgrades than they did on the gun. I don't have one, but if I ever get another .22, that will be it. I have a Marlin Model 60, which is also a great gun, and durable as a hockey puck. I bought the Marlin at Wal-Mart for about $125, including a decent little scope. Hard to beat that for fun.
Marlin 60

For a larger caliber, the Mini-14, the Bushmaster AR-15 and the SAR-1 (civilian semi-auto version of the AK-47) are all fun. Another option is the M-1 Carbine.

M-1 Carbine

This is a really nice little weapon, and feels like owning a piece of history. There are several companies making new clones of this gun. If you are interested, forget the clones and shop the gun shows and shops for a "mix-master", one put together out of all GI parts, but from different guns. I got mine a few years ago for about $300.
Old 11-23-2004, 07:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If you like plinking, how about considering a .22 pistol, too? Ruger makes very popular and high quality .22 LR pistols. Some are specially designed as target pistols, but even their regular ones have an excellent reputation for accuracy and durability. And they come in all kinds of barrel lengths and thicknesses, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Ruger Mk. II is a classic, over 50 years in production. Lots of fun to shoot, major pain to clean.

Mark II

The Ruger Single Six is also fun to shoot, and has an old West feel.

Single Six
Old 11-25-2004, 05:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I do not have a rifle. I really need to fill this gap in my firearm arsenal. I was thinking of getting a .22 caliber just for plunking, any recommendations on this front? Henry makes a classic style .22 that I have looked at on their website but it is expensive for a small caliber. Marlin makes some cheaper .22’s that may be good enough.

I also need to get an Assault Rifle. One with a monster clip of say 50 rounds, bayonet mount, grenade launcher capabilities, and with ammo that is NATO compatible. Any suggestions?

-Zeno

[/ QUOTE ]
You don't have a .22 rifle? What do you plink with? My suggestion for you is the Browning that loads from the rear of the gun. I can't remember the model name, but it's been around for a helluva long time. Any gun shop can order one or you could find a good deal at gunbroker.com. Best I remember, they run around $400-500 which is alot for a .22. But it's damn well worth it. Mine is actually a Norinco, built off of the same patent. I bought it used for $125. Damn fine shooter, very accurate and it's never jammed on me. Don't follow the conventional wisdom and buy a Ruger 10/22. I've owned a Marlin .22, several Ruger .22's and a couple of Reminton .22's and the little Browning kicks all of their asses.

As far as the assault rifle, it just depends on what you want. Selection can vary greatly depending on where you are located. Or do you plan to buy off of the Internet?
Old 11-25-2004, 05:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The Ruger 10/22 is fun to shoot, and very relible for an auto. I'll excuse your gun opinion, since you are from Canada.

Zeno: You might want to have a clearer picture of what you want. The 10/22 is a .22 plinker, the Mini-14 has a huge BANG from the necked down .223 cartridge. Big Difference.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'd recommend the Mini-30 over the Mini-14, unless you feel you need the extra distance provided by the .223 round. I think the extra knock-down from a 7.62x39 outweighs the slightly less range you get when compared to a .223.
Old 11-25-2004, 05:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Oh, what's that dang gun called too, I've always thought one would be a gas to own -- it's a pistol you can put barrels for rifle cartridges on, as well as pistol cartridges - single shot and very accurate. Probably gun nuts more current than I am could remember what those are. One of those, and a bunch of different barrels, would be fun for target shooting.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's probably already been answered, but Thompson Contender is the name you're searching for.
Old 11-25-2004, 05:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
and a small beretta bobcat 22. oh and a derringer 22 mag. oh and some other thing i cant remember what it is in 22.

[/ QUOTE ]
Beretta's Bobcat 22 is a great gun for a small 22. In a fit of stupidity, I traded mine for a Keltec 32. Next I'll trade up to a Tomcat 32. It's exactly the same as a Bobcat, only in a 32 cal.