Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2004, 07:46 PM

Default Re: World of Warcraft

I'm hanging out on Tichondrius, trying to avoid the overcrowding on the Central servers.
Old 11-24-2004, 05:56 PM

I got a 16 Undead Warlock on Stormreaver. Pretty impossible to play now though due to server crashes and lag. Funny how Blizzard said all during the Beta that there wouldn't be any such problems in retail. Should've known better [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

-Brian
Old 11-24-2004, 07:51 PM

I went with a friend of ours to a Wal-Mart like 30 miles away at midnight to get it when it came out. We wait in line for like 40 minutes and some douche bag comes out and announces that they only have 6 copies. WTF?! It is for this reason that I will never play World of Warcraft or give a penny to Wal-Mart.
Old 11-24-2004, 08:57 PM

my walmart only had 2 copies

i got one
Old 11-24-2004, 11:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As of late last night, Amazon didn't even have a price listing for the regular game or the Collectors Edition. The collector's edition comes with an extra pet, supposedly, you can use online, and that sounds kind of cool. I'm wondering if the "more expensive" edition is much more expensive and therefore not worth it. I do usually like Warcraft's music, and it does come with a separate music CD. Also it comes with the game on both CD and DVD, and you can just give one or the other version to someone else to play, say the promotional materials. Doesn't seem like there would be any advantage to having the DVD edition besides having to swap disks less on install, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Blarg,

The CE of WoW is worth every dollar. The soundtrack rocks, behind the scene's dvd is cool, and the in game pet is neat.

Lawrence
Old 11-25-2004, 12:17 AM

Yeah... for all the planning and preparation Blizzard put in they made two mistakes (or two errors in their thinking):

1) No company has ever had an even satisfactory launch of an MMORPG. Lag and server issues are at their worst on day 1, and all the bugs come out starting then.

2) "off the main site: "We launched with 41 servers in the U.S. yesterday, and we are bringing up an additional 34 servers today to accommodate the influx of players. Over 200,000 accounts were created in just a single day! "

Even assuming they planned on an amazing amount of success this is miles beyond what you could possibly expect to see.
Old 11-25-2004, 12:22 AM

My computer keeps turning itself off after 10 minutes of play. Not good for blood pressure. I meet the system requirements and all my drivers are current, so I'm trying a scandisk and defrag now. It sucks. Might have to buy a new comp.
Old 11-25-2004, 04:38 AM

They could easily expect to see that.

Blizzard had similar server problems with Diablo and Diablo 2. They're terrible with getting enough server capacity on start-up, consistently.

They're not alone in that, but they're willing to do the disservice to their customers until not being ready with stable servers sometimes for weeks after initial launch.

They're not alone in that, though. Other MMORPG's and even RTS's routinely underbuild capacity and then add it at their leisure.

It's kind of a shock, if you're not used to playing games like this, to find out how common a poor launch, even a terrible one is. But it's the norm. By now, I've come to prefer giving it a few weeks for server capacity to come up to snuff, server stability to stabilize, and the crush of newbies to get out of the beginning areas before signing on for a new game.

While Blizzard makes great games, the low standards of the gaming industry when it comes to initial launch and Blizzard's record in particular makes me often give a new game a few weeks to get over at least a bit of its growing pains. And that's what I'll do with this one.
Old 11-25-2004, 04:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The CE of WoW is worth every dollar. The soundtrack rocks, behind the scene's dvd is cool, and the in game pet is neat.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lawrence, the soundtrack is one of the reasons I was thinking of getting the collector's edition. Blizzard and Warcraft music is usually great. The pet was the other thing.

Does he do anything practical? Or just hang around and look cool?
Old 11-25-2004, 05:52 PM

"Does he do anything practical? Or just hang around and look cool? "

They just hang around.

As far as looking cool, I dont think they look any cooler than the stnadard pets you can buy, cats, parrots, cockroaches, etc...