Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2004, 03:31 PM

Default Re: thanks and thoughts

Bullchip,

Sorry to hear you blew the roll, but it does seem like you learned MANY valueable lessons from your post.

It's tough, but it looks like you've set yourself up with a plan to succeed - Study, study, study, execute. It's hard not to let ego/greed/whatever make you want to take a shot at the big game, try to make a huge score, whatever, but in the long run playing the limits you can afford + bankroll management when it's not easily replaced will server you VERY well.

Remember that playing poker well isn't some end goal to achieve - it's a skill that will have to be constantly refined by studying (posting, reading, what have you) in addition to just putting hours in at the table.

Bonus whoring will become your best friend, and you'll be on your feet again shortly.

Al

P.S.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm setting myself up to grade school commentary and "you're a tool" responses

[/ QUOTE ]

You're a tool <j/k> [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-15-2004, 03:35 PM

Default Re: lost my roll

Taking an extended break is a good idea.

You realize the mistakes you made (playing above your BR/tilting etc.) and hopefully won't fall into that trap again when you return.

Look at it this way, you lost $30 is it?, and gained a ton of experience in the process.

I've read many poker books, and Zen & The Art of Poker, and The Psychology of Poker helped me more with my game than any others.

Before you come back & play again, I recommend you read & re-read those books.
Old 11-15-2004, 03:37 PM

the most important part is that you realize what you did was pretty damn stupid. that really sucks, but if you can avoid the same mistake next time it sounds like you'll be able to make some good money. good luck.
Old 11-15-2004, 03:40 PM

Default My 2 cents

The advice I can give you is plain and simple.

Play each and every hand to the best of your ability.

Don't play above your roll. I'm assuming you find some games you can beat pretty easily. Even if this is a small limit with pots in the $10 range or so, so be it. Grow as a player and you'll begin to see your roll do the same.

Don't make the mistake I made and jump into limits that you can't really afford to lose. Believe me, once you lose some pots, get bad beats, etc., you'll begin to tilt, whether you accept/realize it or not.

Play hard. Play to win. Nothing else matters.
Old 11-15-2004, 03:42 PM

We've all been there! Try playing freerolls for a fix. You never know.

But these freerolls will get you to play much tighter and <hopefully> cure that tilt.

Just do yourself a favor ... do not go back into a level with an undefunded backroll. If you are a good player and you want to play, you'll be back soon.
Old 11-15-2004, 03:43 PM

Default Re: My 2 cents

This is why there is a 300BB rule. I personally feel this is too low, but "I lost my roll" says nothing to me if your roll was not 300BB to start. Your "roll" could be 50$ you decided to try online poker with.

edited: a hundred bucks at a 15/30 table is 3.3bb. It cost me 3bb to get up and take a piss while 4-tabling. This is not indicative of you ability to play poker, but it speaks volumes about something just as important: MONEY MANAGEMENT.
Old 11-15-2004, 03:45 PM

Well, the way I look at it is this.

I invested $30. Earned +$4K. Lost it all.

Either way, once I make that money, it's mine. I could've easily withdrew everything to my checking account and withdraw that same amount in cash couple days later and grip a fist full of hundreds, probably $2K in each hand while I watch Rounders until I fall asleep.

Oh well, that's life.

I agree, Zen and The Art of Poker is an extremely helpful book. Probably doesn't offer much technical skills but a must read for mental preparation. In fact, I think I'll go read a few pages right now at the book store...

See ya.
Old 11-15-2004, 03:48 PM

Well, I started with $30 as a Quest. A challenge. I built that up to +$4K in total.

Therefore, when I say I lost my roll, I mean I lost +$4K. I was playing mostly NL, although I took stabs at 10/20 and 15/30.

Either way, I'm still an idiot.

Thank God you reminded me. I was beginning to think I was better than that.
Old 11-15-2004, 03:58 PM

I'm sorry about your mental struggles - but i'd be surprised if you didn't build up that roll so quickly by luck in the first place. You should read the forums for a while and start back in the penny games until you can win there. You should maybe consider never playing poker again if you tilted away a month of bankroll in one night. You will probably never be a pro poker player --- especially with the mindset that you have described in your post so far. Good luck to you.
-James
Old 11-15-2004, 04:03 PM

Same thing happend to me about 2 months ago, except my roll was about a quarter the size of yours an i had lost half of it. I just took a break from poker all together for a month and got a job to make up for the time i used to play. This past month I've been studying, reading my azz off, and clickin around this place a lot. I'm still building a roll the old fashion way from my job, but I feel refreshed and ready to hit the tables again. You'll get over it and learn from your mistakes for sure.