Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2004, 01:25 PM

Default Re: Best Bar-B-Q?

[ QUOTE ]
super smokers is a chain. chains are everywhere. try the ribs at mike duffy's in clayton on saturday.

[/ QUOTE ]I know it's a chain...now. But the original place is still pretty good. Never heard of Mike Duffy's. Where were you before I moved? Maybe next time I'm in town there I'll try it. There used to be a good place on Manchester too (across from Kriegers) before Super Smokers bought them out.
Old 11-11-2004, 03:36 PM

FYI, there was an extensive BBQ discussion here relatively recently. Pretty good thread if you care to search for it.

I'm a huge Salt Lick fan. I'm gonna have to find my way to the other places jakethebake listed, since it sounds like he knows what he's talking about.

For anyone who likes brisket, I highly recommend ordering from www.saltlickbbq.com . They also make great ribs. But the brisket, that's incredible.
Old 11-11-2004, 07:35 PM

It isn't close, and no it is not the Salt Lick.

Although the Salt Lick is pretty good, no place I've been to compares to Kreuz Market, Lockhart Texas. They serve their meat as God intended BBQ to be served, without sauce. As the owner has stated, BBQ sauce is used to cover up the taste of mediocre cooked meat. Give it a try.

regards,

raisins
Old 11-11-2004, 08:34 PM

I'm going to have to go with the salt lick as well. The $9.95 beef ribs on Sundays was the best meat I've had in my life, and I'm from a country of 11 sheep, and 5 cows for every person...
Old 11-11-2004, 08:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Although the Salt Lick is pretty good, no place I've been to compares to Kreuz Market, Lockhart Texas. They serve their meat as God intended BBQ to be served, without sauce. As the owner has stated, BBQ sauce is used to cover up the taste of mediocre cooked meat. Give it a try.

[/ QUOTE ]

I love the Salt Lick! I live in Wimberley about 15 minutes from the place. I have to say though that Kreuz has better brisket but that's it! Salt Lick has far better ribs and sausage than Kreuz. Next time you get into the Salt Lick, ask your server for Lauren's sauce. It's their regular stuff but with some Habanero mixed in...not too hot but has a very nice kick. Salt Lick gets my vote for best all around (unless I happen to have the smoker going that day [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img])

Kreuz has some of the best brisket on earth. Another place in Lockheart called Chislom Trail is very good and WAY under rated.

As far as other cities go, I've been to most of them and outside of Texas, I have to go with Memphis. The ribs at Rendevous and Corkey's are to die for! Way better than anything I've ever had in Texas.

In Kansas City, It's The Smoke Stack and Jack's Stack (Owned by fueding brothers or some sutch) Very similar tastes and both awesome! KC Masterpiece was neat but overpriced and yuppie que if there ever was any...

Speaking of yuppie que stay away from The County Line in Austin....total crap and high prices is all you'll find there....well...and yuppies.

I'm hungery!

Mars
Old 11-12-2004, 12:40 AM

I really want to write something saying how real BBQ has vinegar and is from North Carolina, just to PO Diablo, but even I can't say that with a straight face.
Old 11-12-2004, 01:32 AM

BBQ is such a religion in NC (where I'm from) that I managed to get in an argument about it with someone on here and I have been a vegetarian for 10 years.

--turnipmonster
Old 11-12-2004, 01:37 AM

When it comes to southern BBQ it's all about Sweatman's in Eutawville, SC.
Old 11-12-2004, 02:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I really want to write something saying how real BBQ has vinegar and is from North Carolina, just to PO Diablo, but even I can't say that with a straight face.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe this statement, I've tried BBQ all over and for pork I can't think of any other better than the vinegar based style in Eastern NC.

B's in Greenville, NC is the best I've ever had.

I'm gonna go find the other thread and see what I can find in there.
Old 11-12-2004, 10:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]

regards,raisins

[/ QUOTE ]
Yea. That place is pretty good too. I have to disagree about sauce, but I don't think it should be dumped on to completely cover up the meat. I never went there much because it smells funny down by Luling & Lockhart. I dunno if there's some kind of plant there or what, but it's hard to enjoy BBQ in that stench.