Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2004, 12:18 PM

Location: Pokah Is Nice, I Love Play Pokah (Chau Giang quote) Location: Massachusetts
Default Re: Players Who Report Your Chat Online

[ QUOTE ]
There is no sense, use or purpose to your comments.

It is essentially "noise" and nothing else.

Or maybe you have an illusion that you are funny. Perhaps your audience doesn't think so.

Some people like peace and quiet. You're just noisy. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

What you rooking at mista?! What can I say, I'm a talker. And online the only way for me to talk is if I type. Be glad there isn't voice-chat in the poker rooms, man that would be hellish. Anonymous voice-chat, ick!
Old 11-10-2004, 12:21 PM

A couple of additional thoughts:

Most serious players can gain valuable info from the chat and do not want to turn it off just because someone is acting the fool.

The most effective players IMO are those who keep a low profile and whose play strategies are therefore not closely scrutinized by the other players.

People are forming opinions of you all the time; and you never know when this is going to bite you in the ass.

If people are offended (justifiably or not) and leave the game and perhaps poker as well, this removes potential earnings from all of our pockets.

Viewed overall, do you really think that what you're getting out of it is worth what you're giving up?
Old 11-10-2004, 12:28 PM

Location: Pokah Is Nice, I Love Play Pokah (Chau Giang quote) Location: Massachusetts

[ QUOTE ]
A couple of additional thoughts:

Most serious players can gain valuable info from the chat and do not want to turn it off just because someone is acting the fool.

The most effective players IMO are those who keep a low profile and whose play strategies are therefore not closely scrutinized by the other players.

People are forming opinions of you all the time; and you never know when this is going to bite you in the ass.

If people are offended (justifiably or not) and leave the game and perhaps poker as well, this removes potential earnings from all of our pockets.

Viewed overall, do you really think that what you're getting out of it is worth what you're giving up?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, but I can't stand to be in a quiet room, it's so boring. If no one is interacting then I guess I feel the need to get people talking and lightening up. Usually I get on to other topics with people after I start posting the silly stuff.

As far as it making me lose money? I don't think so. The people who are offended THAT easily will just tilt even more than they usually do and I'll take some chips from them.

And the people that find me amusing and entertaining will be less likely looking to break me and out to get the Politically Correct players. And with the hundreds of thousands of people online playing poker, I'm not too worried about losing a handful of political correct nazis.
Old 11-10-2004, 12:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ah well, if you can't be idiotic and childish online, when can you be?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummmmmm....when you're a child?
Old 11-10-2004, 12:41 PM

You described your problem and asked our opinion and then it seems to me that rather than reflect on what everyone is saying you are busy justifying and defending your actions?

Did you really want our opinion or do you just want to argue? It seems to me that there is more value here for me in being wrong. I want see where I am wrong so that I can become a better player, and maybe a better person too.
Old 11-10-2004, 12:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If no one is interacting then I guess I feel the need to get people talking and lightening up. Usually I get on to other topics with people after I start posting the silly stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then why not just START with chat on other topics.
You can say things such as:

"Hey....how 'bout those Red Sox?!"
"I hate the Steelers."
"How's the weather in Walla Walla?"
"The capital of Uruguay is Monte Video."
"I see dead people."
Old 11-10-2004, 12:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You described your problem and asked our opinion and then it seems to me that rather than reflect on what everyone is saying you are busy justifying and defending your actions?

Did you really want our opinion or do you just want to argue? It seems to me that there is more value here for me in being wrong. I want see where I am wrong so that I can become a better player, and maybe a better person too.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just wanted to see what others think of this type of situation, and if they've come up against it or not. Or if they're for or against having a little less-than-PC type fun online.

It won't really change my behavoir, I don't believe I'm doing something that's SO horrible people need to cry about it. But to each their own I suppose.

In my opinion, the people who threaten to report your chat are those who feel powerless in the regular world. They try to wield some power and control over others online. They feel the need to bully others with their "if you don't stop I'm going to tell!" attitudes.

Reminds me of a "rules lawyer" that was at my final table in a live Tuesday night tourney at Foxwoods. This guy was looking for everything he could to complain about.

I was in a hand holding K/2 of hearts and had the flush at the end of the hand, and the chip leader who was aslo in the hand decided to open his mouth and tell me he had me beat. I loved his easy tell of weakness but the rules lawyer (who wasn't even in the hand) complained to the floor about this guys actions and they made him sit out for 10 minutes.

Personally I think heads-up you should be able to trash-talk all you want (i.e. You didn't make your flush, did you?) and stuff like that. And if you aren't involved in the hand, then you shouldn't have any comments on it.

But that's for another topic.
Old 11-10-2004, 12:57 PM

You're right
Old 11-10-2004, 12:58 PM

It's obvious that all you were looking for was some validation of your own view. You got a few such responses, and with your clear inability to place yourself in a proper position vis-a-vis the rest of the world, you're undoubtedly going to continue.

But, has everyone else noticed how often the word "I" appears in all of his posts? Clearly his starting and endpoint for all analysis.
Old 11-10-2004, 01:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's obvious that all you were looking for was some validation of your own view. You got a few such responses, and with your clear inability to place yourself in a proper position vis-a-vis the rest of the world, you're undoubtedly going to continue.

But, has everyone else noticed how often the word "I" appears in all of his posts? Clearly his starting and endpoint for all analysis.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm.....you seem to enjoy arguing and trying to assert your correctness in this situation.

Again, I just wanted to see if others have similar problems online (i.e. are there others like me that enjoy acting foolish and come across the easily-offended nazi brigade).

There are some posters who don't have a problem with my chat and there are others who do.

What it really comes down to is this: why do you feel the need to toss "vis-a-vis" into the conversation? Does anyone actually use such terms in regular conversation? Are you trying to puff up your own ego and appear more intelligent than myself? Does this make you feel good? Will you report my chat so it gets revoked so you feel like you have power over me? Ipso-facto! (sorry, had to toss in something that would make me feel superior to you)