Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2004, 12:16 PM

Default Re: Should I quit my Wall Street job and go pro?

[ QUOTE ]
Should I quit my Wall Street job and go pro?

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't forget the benefits of joining a productive and well-respected profession.
Old 11-05-2004, 12:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
...like the steak dinners at Del Friscos...

[/ QUOTE ]

Your first mistake.
Old 11-05-2004, 01:28 PM

I wish I had this much direction in MY life.
Old 11-05-2004, 04:08 PM

I think everyone should go pro! I figure the third world countries, if everyone just quit what they were doing and went pro, everyone would be wealthy!

Also, all the people in the US making less than 6 figures, and all the families on welfare, should go pro. Would solve world hunger.

Think about it, a few people would work producing food, clothing, goods, etc. The rest would play poker and generate wealth to buy these products!

- Tony

P.S. Actually poker must be way more +EV on a spending power (not dollar amount power) basis in countries where the avg wage is a couple of bucks a day. All a "pro" there would have to do is play .50-1!
Old 11-06-2004, 12:19 AM

Try to get offered a redundancy package. Worked for me.
Old 11-06-2004, 12:49 AM

Don't do anything without investing in the Party Poker Pattern Mapper.
Old 11-08-2004, 04:22 AM

So what do you really do in Wall Street? Investment banking (underwriting/advisory), sales & trading, research or are you on the buy side?
Old 11-08-2004, 06:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I play mostly 25NL, 50NL, 100NL, but went up to 10/20 one night after a couple of bad beats at 100NL in order to make my money back quickly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you kidding me? Assuming you've just started playing poker, you are a very lucky man. You just made one of the worst bankroll mistakes possible. Again, you were lucky to come out alive. Give it a couple months before you find your true wage.
Old 11-08-2004, 07:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I play mostly 25NL, 50NL, 100NL, but went up to 10/20 one night after a couple of bad beats at 100NL in order to make my money back quickly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you kidding me? Assuming you've just started playing poker, you are a very lucky man. You just made one of the worst bankroll mistakes possible. Again, you were lucky to come out alive. Give it a couple months before you find your true wage.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree 100%. It's common knowledge around here that you have to play enough hands to get to the Long Run before you can accurately determine your true win rate. Try to play at least 750 or 800 hands. Once you get to this "Long Run", it's like heaven. The poker site will actually pay you your win rate on the hour every hour. Terms like "standard deviation" and "variance" DO NOT EXIST IN THE MAGICAL LONG RUN! The Long Run is a place with fluffy white clouds, women who laugh when you quote "Rounders", little puppy dogs running down candy cane lanes, and ever-increasing bank accounts!! It is a wonderful place, the Long Run. I hope to see you there soon!
Old 11-08-2004, 10:17 AM

I had a very successful weekend. My original $500 stake is up to $850 ($100 of which is the sign up bonus I cleared). I've been jumping around from different limits to try and figure out which tables make me the most money. I think 50NL is the sweet spot. I tried going up to 200NL, but I found the action there too slow and tight. I did a search on everybody at my 200NL table and found that most people were playing 2 or 3 200NL tables at a time which made the play very slow. It seems like the quality of players at this limit was pretty good, but the main problem I have is the slow response time by some guys as they are juggling 3 tables at a time. The 6 or lower 50NL tables seem loser and faster paced and I was able to hit it big on these tables. I also had success playing $20 single table tourney's. The edge I have at these tables is pretty significant since it seems there are usually 3 out of 10 bad players who get busted going all in within the first 10 hands. I figure I have a 30% edge at these games, and won 2 out of the 4 that I did yesterday. The limit games are pretty boring because they are just too textbook. NL is much more fun!