Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2004, 12:45 AM

Default Re: Am I Pro life or Pro Choice

If you think the government should stay out of the issue as much as possible, you are pro-choice.

I am in a similar boat to you. I could never ask a woman to have an abortion and knowing that a child I sired was aborted would distress me greatly, even though I do not want to be a father. My girlfriend will not have an abortion, so if I get her pregnant I will be a dad. That's how it is.

However, I think abortion should be legal and rare, and I'm surprised that more people on the anti-abortion side don't work more towards reducing unwanted pregnancies. Instead they try to pretend that condoms don't work and teach abstinence-only (in some cases, of course, and the most vocal almost always are also the no-sex-before-marriage types), a surefire way to get a bunch of lapsed Christian girls knocked up. If you are really against abortion you need to adapt to the cultural norms of our times and make real partnerships to stop it from happening.

People have had abortions whether they are legal or not for a long time. People could have fewer if they were better informed.

NT
Old 11-05-2004, 01:46 AM

Definitely Pro-Choice. Late term? Hell no. But early? Yeah, ok.

People say "oh, just give it up for adoption". You act like having a baby is no more difficult than making a TV dinner.

The medical bills are extremely expensive, and it's almost impossible to pay for it if you're uninsured. You have to leave work -unpaid- for a significant period of time before and after the birth. And that's totally ignoring the fact that having a child is simply exceedingly traumatic to the woman's body. Health complications in the mother are not uncommon, especially if she hasn't received proper care, and the same goes for the baby.

If you have ever been in the situation or known someone who has been in the situation, you know it is not something a prospective mother does lightly. I recently learned my mother had an abortion when she and my father were getting divorced (I was 6). We had almost no money at the time, and having a child, whether it was adopted later on or not, would have been disastrous for both our family and the baby.

My father had tears in his eyes when he talked about it, even 21 years later. Do you think it was an easy decision for them to make, even with so many things indicating that it was the right course of action? No. It was damn, damn hard. But sometimes it just is the right choice, for everyone.

It was my brother or sister who isn't here because of their choice, but I cannot fault them for it. Our life was hard enough back then without having to add a pregnancy to it.

That's why I'm pro-choice.

-Nate
Old 11-05-2004, 05:39 AM

Why do you think person A getting raped makes it acceptable to murder that person's child? Put another way, you think it is acceptable for a rape victim to order the execution of the rapists child? I suspect you are for the death penalty as well but it seems a little ridiculous to give the victim of a crime the authority to kill a family member of the guilty party.

That makes no sense to me. I'm personally pro-choice and this is the one thing I really don't understand about the other side. Apparently a couple of newly elected republican senators say that it should be outlawed in 100% of the cases. To me this is the only view someone who views all abortions as murder can have. I suspected that Bush et al felt the same way and just couldn't say it for political reasons (just as I suspect Kerry and many liberals in public office feel that gay couples should be allowed to marry) but apparently that may not be the case.
Old 11-05-2004, 08:53 AM

Safe, Rare, and Legal? Would be great rhetoric if it were true. One in three pregnancies end in abortion in this country, and close to 40% of women will have an abortion throughout their lifetimes. Think about that. If you graduated high school in the last 13 years then one out of every three classmates you would have had is dead.

Proponents of Roe viewed it as a panacea to many social ills like poverty and overpopulation. 31 years later do you think it's had an appreciable impact?

A primary reason abortion will never be "rare" is because it's such a profitable procedure. It's one case where the Left doesn't mind the concept of capitalism.

A child's heart begins to 26 days after conception. You, me, and everyone on this forum were at that point in our natural life cycle. If you belive this beating heart living human being, there is no way you can support abortion in any instance.

Lastly, I'd be willing to fork over my entire poker bankroll to anyone who can produce even one instance where partial birth abortion is justified (including a real "life of the mother" clause. It's laughable to think that an abortion 10 minutes before a mother gives birth will somehow save her life.)
Old 11-05-2004, 09:29 AM

You must be learning from Bush -- willing to move all-in with little study of the situation.
Old 11-05-2004, 01:20 PM

I am for staying out of other people's sex lives and bodily functions.

Unless, they are good looking celebrities and it's a 'missing' sex tape, then it's OK.

We need more people on this planet like Wacko Jacko needs more legal troubles.

LOL!

>TW<