Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2004, 12:14 PM

Default Re: George Bush - Religious Fanatic?

[ QUOTE ]
There is an economic aspect to heterosexual marriages is there not? I'm not saying that there isn't a moral aspect to Gay Marriage but there is an economic aspect to them as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

What - filing jointly? Are you serious? For everyone who supports civil unions, that's not even a difference, because you'd still get to file jointly. So umm... where's the economic difference?

-Nate
Old 11-04-2004, 12:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I find it ironic that an atheist would get bent out of shape by a Christian promoting his beliefs in the political arena while at the same time demanding that government should be godless [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

You are allowed to state and promote your personal beliefs all you want... outside of the government. You are not allowed to pass LAWS enforcing your spiritual beliefs on people who do not agree with them.

I don't want the government to be godless, I want it to be god-neutral. Tolerant of all religions, but sponsoring none. Why? Because we're not all $%&*ing Catholic, dammit. And the government is supposed to represent *everyone*, not just the Catholics.

-Nate
Old 11-04-2004, 12:22 PM

Ditto
Old 11-04-2004, 12:27 PM

You are allowed to state and promote your personal beliefs all you want... outside of the government. You are not allowed to pass LAWS enforcing your spiritual beliefs on people who do not agree with them.

I don't want the government to be godless, I want it to be god-neutral. Tolerant of all religions, but sponsoring none. Why? Because we're not all $%&*ing Catholic, dammit. And the government is supposed to represent *everyone*, not just the Catholics.

-Nate

[/ QUOTE ]

You have not really thought about what you are saying. To be completely honest, you have to say you do not want any religious ideas that YOU do not agree with to be promoted by government. Most of our laws are based on some concept that was first promoted in the religious field. To deny this is to deny reality.

You only raise an objection when a specific religious doctrine disagrees with your own personal belief. At least be honest with yourself and admit to your double standard.
Old 11-04-2004, 12:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What - filing jointly?

[/ QUOTE ]

Community property, wills, spousal health coverage, credit ratings to name a few besides filing jointly.

[ QUOTE ]
Are you serious?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep.

[ QUOTE ]
For everyone who supports civil unions, that's not even a difference, because you'd still get to file jointly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Presumably civil unions would encompass the aspects I mentioned above.

[ QUOTE ]
So umm... where's the economic difference?

[/ QUOTE ]

There isn't any that I know of. Did I say there was any difference?

Didn't the court in Massachusettes basically rule that civil unions for gays and marriage for heterosexuals was unconstitutional because it represented a doctrine of separate but equal?
Old 11-04-2004, 12:29 PM

What laws has Bush passed that enforce his spiritual beliefs?

Why did this turn anti-Catholic? Bush isn't Catholic. Kerry is the Catholic.
Old 11-04-2004, 01:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]

You have not really thought about what you are saying. To be completely honest, you have to say you do not want any religious ideas that YOU do not agree with to be promoted by government. Most of our laws are based on some concept that was first promoted in the religious field. To deny this is to deny reality.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is skewed logic. A religious man promoting a law does not make this law a religious law. The content determines that, not who gave birth to it. And most laws have absolutely nothing to do with religion, thank God ;-) With God's help it stays that way...

[ QUOTE ]

You only raise an objection when a specific religious doctrine disagrees with your own personal belief. At least be honest with yourself and admit to your double standard.

[/ QUOTE ]

How exactly do you arrive at that conclusion based on what he said?
Old 11-04-2004, 01:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What - filing jointly?

[/ QUOTE ]

Community property, wills, spousal health coverage, credit ratings to name a few besides filing jointly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even if this was so, why should two of the same sex not enjoy the same rights that two of opposite sex enjoy.
Old 11-04-2004, 01:31 PM

No one said all his supporters were of faith, but the majority of faith supporters that exist voted for bush because of his correlated policies to the evangelical church which has 80 million voters in the u.s. 1/4 ohio voters are bornagains, voting 3-1 for bush. A good share of of vointg America does believe in the three major religions, which all promoted the vote for prolife or you could just say Bush. It was a moral obligation to do so... CNN presents coverd an intersting story regarding your questions, and other CNN stories have addressed this issue. Browse cnn.com and look for the impact of faith in an election vs. a faithful and politically secular.
Old 11-04-2004, 01:31 PM

George Bush is a religious pragmatist.