Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2004, 05:16 AM

Default Re: huge pot what to do?

The preflop call is more than fine. I'm one of the tighter players here and I'd make that call without thinking twice.

Check/call the flop and turn. Easy bet on the river. I don't know why you would try to c/r the field on the river shutting out players who might make a crying call but will most likely fold for two bets.
Old 11-03-2004, 05:39 AM

folding preflop would be a terrible mistake.

those with pokerstove or whatever, please explain.
Old 11-03-2004, 05:50 AM

I'm pretty sure I like the flop checkraise. Even very loose players will be hard pressed to call 2 cold with lone J, Q, or K's with an A out there and getting hands like this to fold would be a very good thing in such a large pot. What do you think?
Old 11-03-2004, 05:51 AM

I also like the rest of the hand except for the grotesque lack of a river bet. People arguing with preflop need to search the forums for a couple hours and catch up with reality.
Old 11-03-2004, 05:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure I like the flop checkraise. Even very loose players will be hard pressed to call 2 cold with lone J, Q, or K's with an A out there and getting hands like this to fold would be a very good thing in such a large pot. What do you think?

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's say you do c/r and you get everyone holding a Q to fold. The turn now comes a Q and you know for a fact no one has a Q. Do you like your hand any better?
Old 11-03-2004, 06:10 AM

Well you gotta figure that it's possible for Button to be betting here here without an A, in which case getting overs to your pair of T's here to fold would be huge. Even if Button does have an A, however, there is also a lot of merit to trying to clear out other T's and 5's to help protect my 3 two-pair outs if I hit one of them.

I think some math is required to figure out which is better, but I don't think raising can be too bad.
Old 11-03-2004, 06:13 AM

Note: if the read on Button is the same as the table read (i.e. "extremely loose-passive") then I don't like a flop raise. But if there's a chance that he could be betting hands like KQ or KJ or 99 then I think there's something to it.
Old 11-03-2004, 07:06 AM

preflop: not calling is a significant mistake

flop: the checkraise sucks. who's folding in this bloated pot? it opens you up the re-raising too. maybe a lone K or Q or J fill fold? yea suppose you do make them fold and those cards fall anyways. how can you even be sure you folded out those hands?

anyone advocating folding the flop is crazy. you have a pair+backdoor flush draw. the backdoor flush draw alone is worth seeing the turn.

not betting the river is stupid. are you hoping for a checkraise? all that does is force the field to call two bets cold when they might have called for a single bet on the river, but now decide they dont' like their hands anymore.
Old 11-03-2004, 07:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
preflop: not calling is a significant mistake

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you fire off some math to elaborate on this point? What would you do with T3o? What about 72s? Are there any two cards you'd fold from the BB to a late position raise in a family pot of limpers?

Let's say I'm wrong that folding is correct. Let's say calling is correct. First, I'd like to see some numbers crunched. Second, if those crunched numbers prove that calling is actually some version of +EV, I can't see how it's so heavily + that folding is "a significant mistake."

I might be able to be convinced that folding is a mistake, but a significant one? Implied odds definitely improve the hand's value (in this pot, Hero took down 50 small bets, around 7 of which were his, so he came out +43 sb by calling 1 PF) but intuitively it feels like it's not some horrendous blunder to fold T3s to a raise out of position.

[If, however, everyone limped to me on the button and I had T3s and I was feeling loose or the Xanax kicked in and I limped as well, then the SB raised and the BB called and everyone in the pot called again, then I'm getting the same odds as the posted hand (actually, slightly better because I'm closing the action; no chance of getting limp-reraised) but in much much much better position. Then I feel good about calling.]
Old 11-03-2004, 08:28 AM

The idea here is "any two suited."