Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2005, 11:25 AM

Default Re: What Tells From Home Game Beginners?

In general, I agree with others - you can run over them without too much effort. But you asked for tells, so here are some:

Overbetting a made hand: if they have a big pair in HE, sometimes they will just go all-in immediately. You can safely fold here. Although sometimes a real beginner will do it with any pair. If you have TT or better you can consider a call against a beginner.

Rechecking hand frequently - again thinking HE game - they are on a draw or the flop is low cards so they check their hand to see what their "other" card is (to go with that ace or king they are holding)

Playing out of turn - this is not so much a tell but I'd assume that the guy who says "I raise!" out of turn definitely has the goods. Sometimes they will try to fold when they can check. That's also good. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

There are plenty more, but these you will see over and over again.
Old 03-05-2005, 01:12 AM

sometimes people will sit up a little straighter if the hand is good, or if the cards are really nice they may just start dancing.
Old 03-05-2005, 03:09 AM

When you posted this I figured I'd give it a few games and see what I came up with as the big ones in my groups.

1) Glance at chips = going to bet or raise, use this to checkraise.

2) Do they remember thier cards?
a) Usually checks cards, but not this time = Big pair, flopped set, TPTK w/ flush draw, etc.
b) Rarely checks cards, but is now = Mid to low grade hands. Action finds the occasional monster.

3) Body language beyond the felt:
a) Lean forward, stare intently = I want you to fold.
b) Lean back, look away = I want you to call.

These apply to the WPT wannabe style players I'm awash with. Some of my home game players reverse #3 and are just as easy to read; figure out who does which. As they get tougher and/or sneakier, they may reverse #2 on you. They'll still call with crap to the river, god bless 'em!

ChipSpewing(tm) at a $10 buyin... mmmmmmmm, cheap.