Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2004, 03:27 PM

Default Re: Simple Common Tournament Situation

[ QUOTE ]
Yes the "not just math" comment is my suggestiong that David is basing the answer on strictly math. As I believe he does in these type posts 90% of the time. Lack of creativity and deeper thought of conditions and players is a weakness in his posts. IMO. It isnt always "JUST MATH". But I do love the math he brings to the plate also!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand your point. I was using this thread to respond specifically to David's question. Not to debate whether the question should have beeen posed the way it was in the first place. [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 10-22-2004, 04:02 PM

So everytime you get shortstacked UTG just about to post a good chunk of your stack you get afraid someone may have JJ? Push, if someone wakes up with a hand, fine.
Old 10-22-2004, 04:04 PM

Default After Further Review...

It should also be noted that being at the table with "no live ones" means that you aren't going to be getting equity from the pot to make it worth the gamble of QJ suited.

I say that, because we know that if we get called we are beat. What is worse is the fact that we will only get called by 1 person who surely has us in bad shape.

That does not mean that it would never be correct to move all in with QJ suited. But at a full table with tight players it becomes quite incorrect. After all, you don't even gain much if everyone happens to fold.

That's my take on it. [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 10-22-2004, 04:05 PM

I would wait since I have been pissing away my chips too often in situations like this. Also, a smart player might see that you are about to take the blinds and play a marginal hand because he thinks you are desperate.
Old 10-22-2004, 04:05 PM

I agree that the point of being the best player at the table is an important aspect of this question but not from a standpoint of out playing the others.
If you are best, others are inferior and a couple may suck. No matter what your image or the table psychology, the bad players do not pay attention or have the knowledge. How many times have you made a tricky move on a bad player to be called by bottom pair that wins them the hand because they were too stupid to fold?
This means any bet you make is risking the bet and your stack to a call or over bet. I see this as a risky out of position play with high risk/reward potential.
If you go all-in, any bad player with A-x or a pair is calling so you are a dog in almost any situation.
If it is a weak table allowing limpers, I possibly try to see a flop to break the others if it hits. If limping is punished, I fold and hope for a better hand and position soon.
Old 10-22-2004, 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So everytime you get shortstacked UTG just about to post a good chunk of your stack you get afraid someone may have JJ? Push, if someone wakes up with a hand, fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just did some rethinking about this situation. I still think you should fold but for less 'simple' reasons. See my post further down. [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 10-22-2004, 04:08 PM

You ARE desperate. And when you're short-stacked frankly I don't think it matters all that much whether you're the best or worst player at the table. You don't have the chips to outmanuever anyone anyway. But I'd rather make my move when I'm in position with a lesser hand.

[ QUOTE ]
I would wait since I have been pissing away my chips too often in situations like this. Also, a smart player might see that you are about to take the blinds and play a marginal hand because he thinks you are desperate.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-22-2004, 04:10 PM

You have to make a play soon, but wait and make it when there aren't eight players behind you waiting to call.
Old 10-22-2004, 04:10 PM

Your going to post a good chunk of your stack with a RANDOM HAND, QJs looks much better than that regardless of your the caller's hand, push.
Old 10-22-2004, 04:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You have to make a play soon, but wait and make it when there aren't eight players behind you waiting to call.

[/ QUOTE ]

You may actually be more inclined to push if you knew you would be called by all 8! I know that's not what you meant, but I thought an attempt at humor was in order.

Side note, I'm out of here for the night so I won't be monopolizing this thread anymore. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]