Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2004, 06:21 PM

Default Re: Duke & Hellmuth chop Tournament of Champions prize money???

I'm still envisioning all ten players arriving at the horseshoe, saying hello to each other, spliting the prize pool ten ways, and each pro walking out a couple minutes later with $200,000 a piece.
Old 10-19-2004, 06:35 PM

because i'm fairly sure ESPN and WSOP had a "no deals" rule in place, and, since it was $$$ put up by ESPN, i'm also sure they can enforce that as they so choose, including rescinding said prize and not allowing participants in the deal to play again in next year's freeroll. I guarantee they all signed a contract that stated as much that would be PLENTY enforceable in court. Since ESPN put up the $$, i have no problem with this. WPT has same/similar rule which I understand but think is BS, since the players put up all the $$$.

Quit being so naive.
Old 10-19-2004, 06:57 PM

private jokeraniel Negreanu siad that he doesn't make deals. I saw this in one of his articles a while ago

37 offsuit:Hellmuth was pissing and moaning because ESPN told him to, plain and simple. Don't you think Phil cussing and bitching is funnier to watch than Phil shaking ahnds with Annie and saying "Nice job"?
Old 10-19-2004, 08:44 PM

Even if there was a deal, no one could prove it. And it would not matter because helmuth woulk dstill not want to lose to anyone, especially on tv and especially to a lady.
Old 10-19-2004, 10:28 PM

May explain Phils grammy winning performance when he lost, it seemed to over the top even for Phil. I agree that if there was a deal I wouldn't think Annie would admit to it.
Deals happen all the time.
Old 10-19-2004, 10:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And why does Hellmuth curse up a storm when he loses? This is just idle chatter...a friend of a friend that knows...type crap.

[/ QUOTE ]

I curse up a storm when I lose a small pot if I suffer a bad beat. I call it being competitive.
Old 10-19-2004, 11:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, I would have to guess that the prize money is not tax free and taxes would have to be paid on the winnings. The tax forms would be filled out in the winners name and that person would have to pay the taxes. Now if I cut a side deal with some other player and I won, I think I would be in for all the taxes on the the total prize and they would have money tax free. A tax accountant could clear this up.

[/ QUOTE ]

If they made a deal, the card room would put the unofficial prize amount on the respective players' W2G's. The official prize money (for example Annie Duke 1st place "2 million") would not matter for tax purposes.

Using a small, but relevant example: At a recent live tourney I was in before the cards were dealt to the final table (which had ten players although only nine would cash--go figure...) somebody suggested that we take a small amount off of each place and give that to what would offficially be the unpaid tenth player. We all agreed. Our W2G's showed only what we won, but the results showed what would have been listed had the agreement to fund the tenth place not been made.
Old 10-19-2004, 11:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe you could tell me how such a deal would jeopardize the prize money.

[/ QUOTE ]
Sure thing. If there's evidence that they made a deal, they have to give back their prize money.

[ QUOTE ]
As I previously stated, I don't believe there are any real consequences to prevent such deals. And if there were, I'm not quite sure they would be enforceable in court.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course there are, and of course they would be.

[ QUOTE ]
I am just curious how anyone could be sitting there playing for $2 million with at best a 60% chance of winning (I believe they were close to equal in chips at one point and I don't think either would believe that they are that much better than the other to account for more than a 10% advantage) and not make a deal when they're facing a good possibility that they will walk away empty handed.

[/ QUOTE ]

If they get caught making a deal, they both walk away empty handed.

Which means they probably wouldn't be openly discussing any deal at the Bellagio for your dealer to have overheard.
Old 10-20-2004, 04:51 AM

He said, she said, they all said. All hearsay. Was this hearsay dealer actually dealing the game with Annie and Phill?

Do you think ESPN would risk their reputation and get involved in such a deal? Hmmm...Come to think about it?
Old 10-20-2004, 04:57 AM

Hey..., the dealer also said the world was coming to an end yesterday. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]