Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2004, 12:54 AM

Default Re: Diff. between 1.6 and 2.8G processor?

Hmmm, I wonder if sending the pokertrack data to a different logical drive would help. Don't real database operations maintain discrete data and code disks to speed performance?

So instead of 1 80G hd I get two 40s and use one for data, mpgs etc. and one for poker clients and all other apps.

Insp.
Old 10-19-2004, 03:03 AM

I meant plugged into the correct slots with more than one module. Depending on your motherboard there may or may not be BIOS settings as well.

Tell us how the upgrade goes. I'm as interested as every one to see what helps.

~CT11
Old 10-19-2004, 03:08 AM

A second HDD for the database could help though I'm not sure how much. I design hardware not databases so maybe some one who knows more about databases can tell us more. Of course if you have enough RAM the whole database may be cached in ram so it wont help so much. But thats something a database person would know more about.

~CT11
Old 10-19-2004, 03:51 AM

I bought a new external Western Digital USB/Firewire 160 gig hard drive last week. I'm going to install Pokertracker on it when I get a new system(hopefully sometime soon) and see if I can just keep all my pokertracker data there, and the pokertracker program itself.

For Party, I'll still be reading off both a system main drive for hand histories and off this external one, but I'm figuring splitting the tasks between hard drives may help a bit. And also, it will be nice to not have my databases split up all over or ever worry about transferring them properly. This 160 gig HD should hold enough pokertracker data for many years to come.
Old 10-19-2004, 10:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
see if I can just keep all my pokertracker data there, and the pokertracker program itself.

[/ QUOTE ]

You most certainly can do this.

-Ben
Old 10-19-2004, 01:34 PM

I'm not sure how fast external drives are nowadays, but I would guess that they are slower than an internal drive and it might actually slow your system down. I'm not sure, though.
Old 10-19-2004, 06:19 PM

It's a 7200 rpm, so that's standard speed. That would leave only concerns about transfer rate, and it's USB 2.0/Firewire enabled. I haven't looked up and compared transfer speeds compared to just having an internal disk cabled up to your motherboard, but I'm hoping that at least not having to read my hand histories and operate Pokertracker at the same time on the same disk will help a lot.

Anyway, keeping the data in one place is my main goal in buying the external HD. That way no matter how many computers I go through and how finicky they are, I'll probably not have much hassle keeping my data intact and in one place.