Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2004, 12:54 AM

Default Re: Des scratches his head on The Bubble- \"Oh Well\"

[ QUOTE ]
Desdia,

I think I speak for everyone when I say I am sick of you disguising your bad beat posts as analyses of why your opponent called, why PokerStars is rigged, etc.

Since you say you are neither 'here nor there' with your opponent's call, let's look at the AJ/A4 hand using the Independent Chip Model (http://www.bol.ucla.edu/%7Esharnett/ICM/ICM.html).

1) opponent folds

Your stack of t4315 gives you 17.75% equity ($EV).

2) opponent calls

69.23% of the time, you win and have 25.71% equity.
23.19% of the time, you lose and have 0% equity.
7.58% of the time, you split and have 15.66% equity.

Your weighted equity if your opponent calls is .6923*25.71 + .0758*15.66 = 18.97%

Clearly you should have been happy your opponent called. If your opponents never made mistakes, then you could never overcome the rake, let alone win at poker!

Nobody cares about the table image you established --- you shouldn't have been angry your opponent called in the first place. Would you prefer to face tight-aggressive $200 SNG opponents who wouldn't limp-fold or limp-call with A4o in the first place?

I didn't think so.

[/ QUOTE ]

don't assume or think anything. does'nt matter to me whether it's a TAG $200 SNG player or a LAG $5 player. of course this is a bad beat post. this is a public forum and there are no rules that says they are prohibited. if you don't care so much, don't post or respond. sure, i do post alot of these types of hands that i've lost for analysis on why a player who called would make such a play, that's not a disguise either. if you've read enough of them, you should know i don't disguise them at all. it's up to you to disregard the thread if you don't like the subject matter that's being rehashed. i don't like liver and castor oil, but you won't ever hear of me willing eating and digesting both, then coming back and complaining about it.

part of the solace i take in posting these type of threads is that, supposedly, better players with give analysis on how and why i was wrong or right and vice versa with my opponent instead of instead of mouthing off their displeasure about how crappy a bad beat thread is in a public poker forum. frankly, i think is stupid to gripe about bad beat threads, especially when everybody is so busy saying how much a part of poker they are. folks around these forums have a real 'holier than thou' attitude and act like 3rd graders with the 'cooties' or something.
Old 10-14-2004, 02:03 AM

"part of the solace i take in posting these type of threads is that, supposedly, better players with give analysis on how and why i was wrong or right"

you are not looking for someone to tell you that you were wrong or right--- you already knew the answer.. and-- as can be seen from all your other posts, even if someone does disagree, you never waver from your initial position anyway.

you most likely will never be a good poker player (i would bet on it). there is a reason why you always play the $5 SNGs. you, as you have shown in almost every single one of your 720 crappy posts, are the type of person who i make my living from.

if you can't forget about "bad beats", if they don't roll off you back, and if you play as if you are afraid of bad beats--- you will never improve.

the only thing that posting a bad beat does is demonstrate the enormous amount of growth you need to do to ever come close to becoming a decent poker player.
Old 10-14-2004, 05:08 AM

i've been of the SNG for a while. I forgot how mouthy people were/are to you.

The bad beat police now patrol the board and charge $1 for low-content beats.

Anyway, looks like you did all you could and got shafted. Next SNG.

Regards,
Pete Harris
Old 10-14-2004, 05:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is completely not meant to be offensive Des, but you really cannot become a successful poker player if you continue to think like this.

[/ QUOTE ]

i was gonna touch on this on the other thread, but i think you made a good job of it.

bravo,
smiley ($30 SnG player) 1
desdia ($5 SnG player) 0

although you should never get results orientated in a reply [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 10-14-2004, 06:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
once again, this is not an argument about odds or pot odds as to why it's correct to call. going by the image i felt i had established at the table and by how long he took to call, IMO, he had to know he was behind when he called.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course it isn't about pot odds but all i was saying is push was correct in my opinion, this because you should know you are best by a long way and you have opponents who don't pay attention and are willing to call with crap. Who mentioned pot odds anyway, my point was 1000 is worth taking down.

Regards Mack
Old 10-14-2004, 11:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]

"part of the solace i take in posting these type of threads is that, supposedly, better players with give analysis on how and why i was wrong or right"

you are not looking for someone to tell you that you were wrong or right--- you already knew the answer.. and-- as can be seen from all your other posts, even if someone does disagree, you never waver from your initial position anyway.

you most likely will never be a good poker player (i would bet on it). there is a reason why you always play the $5 SNGs. you, as you have shown in almost every single one of your 720 crappy posts, are the type of person who i make my living from.

if you can't forget about "bad beats", if they don't roll off you back, and if you play as if you are afraid of bad beats--- you will never improve.

the only thing that posting a bad beat does is demonstrate the enormous amount of growth you need to do to ever come close to becoming a decent poker player.

[/ QUOTE ]

first off, it's by schedule, by choice, and by bankroll issues as to why i play mostly $5 SNGs. i have a very bust life outside of $5 SNGs on Stars. i also don't nearly as many ring games or SNGs as most of you do on 2+2 either. if i had 20-40+ hours to sit on the internet playing poker, i'd be playing higher.

also, you guys crack me up with the "you'll never likely be a good poker player" comments. how do you know? have you read some unpublished manual on poker progress that states "if you can't stand bad beats, you can't become a good player"? get real. that's just a bunch of BS. being able to stomach bad beats does'nt guarantee anything, except maybe, that you'll be able to handle losing your money better. i hardly think simply not authoring bad beat threads will demonstrate some mythical enormous amount of growth that i've achieved. lastly, i doubt very seriously that you've made any money off me unless you were one of those players who rivered me as a 4 to 1 dog on the bubble in a $5 SNG. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 10-14-2004, 11:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This is completely not meant to be offensive Des, but you really cannot become a successful poker player if you continue to think like this.

[/ QUOTE ]

i was gonna touch on this on the other thread, but i think you made a good job of it.

bravo,
smiley ($30 SnG player) 1
desdia ($5 SnG player) 0

although you should never get results orientated in a reply [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

you're under the assumption that Smiley is a better SNG player because he's playing at a $30 buy-in. there are dead money players at every level, some can afford to lose more. also Smiley plays alot more poker than i do. you have'nt proved anything.
Old 10-14-2004, 03:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

don't assume or think anything. does'nt matter to me whether it's a TAG $200 SNG player or a LAG $5 player. of course this is a bad beat post.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, now that that's settled...

[ QUOTE ]
this is a public forum and there are no rules that says they are prohibited. if you don't care so much, don't post or respond.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've seen this argument on many message boards lately. By posting this on a message board, you invited responses. And by the way, this is a privately-owned forum. You are not entitled to any Constitutional or god-given rights here.

[ QUOTE ]
sure, i do post alot of these types of hands that i've lost for analysis on why a player who called would make such a play, that's not a disguise either. if you've read enough of them, you should know i don't disguise them at all. it's up to you to disregard the thread if you don't like the subject matter that's being rehashed. i don't like liver and castor oil, but you won't ever hear of me willing eating and digesting both, then coming back and complaining about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

You just acknowledged above that this was a bad beat post. What do you want us to do - get inside the minds of poor SNG players? I'll admit they exist at every buyin level. However, what's the point of determining their rationale for their decisions? The guy with A4 was probably thinking, "Ooooh... Ace... me like Aces... me want all-in"

[ QUOTE ]
part of the solace i take in posting these type of threads is that, supposedly, better players with give analysis on how and why i was wrong or right and vice versa with my opponent instead of instead of mouthing off their displeasure about how crappy a bad beat thread is in a public poker forum. frankly, i think is stupid to gripe about bad beat threads, especially when everybody is so busy saying how much a part of poker they are. folks around these forums have a real 'holier than thou' attitude and act like 3rd graders with the 'cooties' or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

What kind of advice do you want? Do you want us to give advice to your opponents who make major mistakes like calling all-in with A4? And for the last time, this is not a public forum!
Old 10-14-2004, 04:00 PM

Default Forgive the whiny bitches, Des . . .

Give me a good bad-beat story any time. I can't get enough of 'em. And I'm not being sarcastic -- misery, as they say, loves company! Good to know that the Poker Gods aren't picking on just ME.

And to those of you who are sick of them -- um, unless your reading skills are so poor that it takes you five or ten minutes to make it through a 3-paragraph post, suck it up and move on. A big fat fifteen seconds of your life have been wasted -- boo freakin' hoo.
Old 10-14-2004, 05:39 PM

you are right about one thing--- i haven't made any money off of you. i don't play the $5 tourneys on Stars. but what i actually said was "you are the TYPE OF PERSON who i make my living from"

i know you don't get it-- and that there is very little chance of you ever "getting it", but i believe that my point about needing to be able to stomach bad beats in order to be a good player is valid.

and i'll explain it to you one last time--- more clearly:

you make money when other people make mistakes.

in poker, you will very rarely be guarenteed to win the hand--- you usually look for a situation where you have a better chance of winning than the other player(s).

people will beat you when they have the worst hand, just not as often as you will win with the best hand.

This is all common knowledge--- you KNOW this. I know that you do--- otherwise you wouldn't be able to recognize a bad beat. But you need to ask yourself some questions:

What do I accomplish by concentrating on my bad beats?
Do I wish that people didn't make those mistakes?
Do I want to get my money in with the worst of it?
Am I enriching this public forum by posting empty complaints which are neither informative nor extraordinary?

A good poker player has to ask themself many tough questions. It's because you don't even ask yourself these relatively easy questions that I don't think you'll ever be a good poker player.

I can make that more clear as well:

You do not demonstrate any ability to think critically.