Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2004, 04:05 PM

Default Re: What do you all think about this name?

[ QUOTE ]
How about selling blue prints on e-bay. Much simpler and has a better chance to make a profit, IMO.

I have to agree that a whole store for selling table is way overkill.

Or if you want to 'go big', have 100 made and sell them to other people's game supply stores.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not going to be a whole "store" it's gonna to be a booth in a mall. We looked at the spot and there is a guy next to us selling cheap head massagers and he said he makes a killing, I think we can do ok at least.
Old 09-27-2004, 05:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Value Bets.

And it's not even close.

[/ QUOTE ]

how about just calling it "and its not even close"
Old 09-27-2004, 06:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For a poker store...

Raise The Blinds - Poker Supply Store

Like in a mall? Raise the Blinds being the main title and Poker Supply Store in smaller print.

A friend suggested it and I'm kinda iffy on it. Any other suggestions let me know.

[/ QUOTE ]

How about:

How Can You Play That Crap Moron? Let's Go Heads Up ... Poker Supply Store.
Old 09-27-2004, 06:02 PM

What about something right to the point, like:

"In the poker book of life, women are the rake, and we're the poker supply store."

-or-

"Don't wanna be driving that delivery truck no more, you know what I mean!"

-or-

"This is where KGB gets his STUFF!"

-or-

any other combinate of Rounders quotes and additional wit. People who want poker supplies will fall for it every time. (You should sell Rounders.)
Old 09-27-2004, 06:06 PM

My suggestion would be "I'll Let Others Elaborate".
Old 09-27-2004, 06:10 PM

How about calling it, "It's the Nuts" and get one of those "As Seen on TV" signs for the kiosk, and you'll be good to go.

Kevin...
Old 09-27-2004, 06:35 PM

Do you guys already have stores like that in the US as we have nothing of that kind here in the UK.

There is a at least one poker book and accessory shop in London. It also sells sports betting books.

There's also a separate poker and chess shop that I came across somewhere else in London, but I was drunk at the time and cannot remember where it was.
Old 09-27-2004, 07:02 PM

Here's my two cents. I used to work in PR/Marketing, so maybe it's worth three cents?

"Raise the Blinds" is weak because it doesn't offer instant recognition. It's a relatively abstract concept, so your brain has to take an extra step to "get" the name. On the other hand names like "Red Queen" or "Pocket Kings" are more concrete and visual, so it is easier for the brain to lock on to them.

I'm not saying those two names are that good, I'm just throwing them out there to help illustrate why "Raise the Blinds" is not the strongest name. How easy is it to visualize raising blinds?

And on an even more basic level, try to make the name one or two words only. Once you're at three words, you're on the wrong track. A great example of shorter is better (at the risk of inciting political flames) is Kerry vs Bush. Kerry may have more substance and better plans than Bush, but people just don't "get" him, because Bush speaks in short plain sentences, while Kerry tends to be very long-winded.

Good luck with the store.
Old 09-28-2004, 12:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Here's my two cents. I used to work in PR/Marketing, so maybe it's worth three cents?

"Raise the Blinds" is weak because it doesn't offer instant recognition. It's a relatively abstract concept, so your brain has to take an extra step to "get" the name. On the other hand names like "Red Queen" or "Pocket Kings" are more concrete and visual, so it is easier for the brain to lock on to them.

I'm not saying those two names are that good, I'm just throwing them out there to help illustrate why "Raise the Blinds" is not the strongest name. How easy is it to visualize raising blinds?

And on an even more basic level, try to make the name one or two words only. Once you're at three words, you're on the wrong track. A great example of shorter is better (at the risk of inciting political flames) is Kerry vs Bush. Kerry may have more substance and better plans than Bush, but people just don't "get" him, because Bush speaks in short plain sentences, while Kerry tends to be very long-winded.

Good luck with the store.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great post, thanks a lot. I appreciate it. I was pretty much against the name but it was sadly one of the better ones we thought of.
Old 09-28-2004, 10:11 AM

Ok, so you are going to have a booth type of thing. I'm having a hard time envisioning what you mean since you are going to have tables on display, correct? Maybe something like a floor section in the main walkway in a mall?

Anyway, if you have room to set up tables, I have another suggestion. This is always something I thought would sell very well. Especially around Christmas time.

Skill stops

To the best of my knowledge, these are the direct importers. The guys there did not want to talk to me since I would not be buying by the truckload, but they did refer me to a middleman. The prices were lower than I anticipated if buying in quantities of 100. This may still be more money than you anticipated spending to start, however with ebay to help liquidate anything you can't sell retail, I think it low risk. There is some legal issues that I would want ot consult with an attorney about. Especially exporting (across state lines) and acceptable uses, but I would think that the wholesaler or middleman could point you in the right direction.

Good luck. Let us know if you make a killing!!