Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2004, 12:41 PM

Default Re: Who Is More Of A Man?

[ QUOTE ]
I think dumb rude comments are inexcusible. I guess I'm not as tolerant as you when it comes to dumb rude comments.

[/ QUOTE ]

"Inexcusable" is an interesting choice of words. To take this literally, one would be calling out "dumb" and "rude" behavior so often, that it would consume all of one's time.

Such comments are usually "offensive", and frequently "insulting", but to automatically construe them as a threat to one's well-being says more about the recipient, IMHO, than about the speaker.

[ QUOTE ]
The floor person probably wont eject someone just for berating you. There is actually no law against dumb rude comments, your expected to take care of yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've only encountered such behavior in a cardroom a couple of times. Without fail, the floor intervened (sometimes upon player request, sometimes upon dealer request), and gave the offender the choice to cease and desist, or to leave.

Also, in every instance, the offender received negative feedback from the majority of players at the table, appropriately so, since the behavior in question was an "offense" to the smooth play of the game more so than a threat to the person who was "targeted"

[ QUOTE ]
What does the fighting accomplish? It lets the guy in question know that he can't freely verbaly abuse you, because you aren't confident and secure enough to sit in a chair and take it, pretending you aren't bothered, and hoping he soon stops.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here is where I think you reveal your likely inexperience with such situations. First of all, this is a stranger, who you're likely to never see again, so establishing some "limit" with him is meaningless.

Secondly, as a former bartender/bouncer, and in my carreer as the therapist, I've known very few rude, intrusive and insulting people whose behavior would be changed by engasging in a fight; intensification of the behavior in question is actually more likely, in my experience.

I do agree with you that there are times when a person might be faced with a situation in which one might have to resort to violence to defend one's wellbeing, safety or personal integrity. But "manhood" includes much more than mere physical courage; it also includes wisdom, composure, self-control, and self-assuredness, all of which impact the choice of which "battles" to fight, and which to ignore because the stakes aren't remotely worth the risks....
Old 09-18-2004, 12:45 PM

In the midst of his prior rant, Ero dropped this lil gem:

[ QUOTE ]
You can either take it like a woman and pretend that you are more mature (when in actuality you are a coward afraid of confrontation) or you can act like a man and not take [censored].

[/ QUOTE ]

First, before you call me a coward, have a baby. Not "get some girl pregnant," but have the baby YOURSELF. Then we can discuss cowardice at your leisure.

Second, if you'd like to find out how savage the female of the species can be, threaten a mother's children. You see, there are some things worth killing or dying for, but mere insults at a poker table are not among them.

Finally, note the phrasing there: "worth killing or dying for." If you're not ready to kill or die when you start a fight, then you are at a severe disadvantage against any opponent who is. And, unfortunately, you're not likely to find out whether that opponent is until it's too late. So, if it's not worth killing or dying for, it's not worth the fight to begin with.

Cris
Old 09-18-2004, 12:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Ero: Isn't Paul Newman great? And I don't mean that in a sissy way. I like him like a man likes a good punching of stuff.
Jerk: So, a lot?
Ero: Oh yeah.
Jerk: That's great. By the way, AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...

[/ QUOTE ]

lol
Old 09-18-2004, 01:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Jerk: AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
Ero: I don't appreciate that.
Jerk: AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
Ero: You'd better stop now, buddy.
Jerk: AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Sissy!
Ero: I'm warning you. Stop.
Jerk: Yeah, or what?
Ero: Or we can go discuss this outside.
Jerk: I don't think so, I'm having a good time at this table, and you're 4 inches taller than I am.
Ero: No, I insist we go outside.
Jerk: Lighten up, dude, I don't think so. You're gonna try to beat me up for laughing at a poker table?
Ero: You've stepped over the line.
Jerk: What line?
Ero: The line of inexcusability.
Jerk: What, am I bothering you?
Ero: Yes, but not so that I'm upset by it. You see violence is a tool, like a toothbrush or a hammer. Particularly like a hammer.
Jerk: Um, but we live in a society of laws...
Ero: LAWS ENFORCED AT BAYONET-POINT!
Jerk: Can I finish?
Ero: AT BAYONET POINT!
Jerk: And those laws say that punching someone is worse than making fun of them for losing a pot at a poker table.
Ero: Don't mix me up with your moral relativism.
Jerk: That's not relativism, that's just that one is assault and the other is what, being annoying?
Ero: Listen, bad laws and also laws against punching don't apply to me.
Jerk: Um, I'm not sure I follow.
Ero: You're expected to take care of yourself. Ergo, if you cut me off in traffic, I have the right to kill your dog.
Jerk: Woah there buddy.
Ero: How else am I gonna get you to stop acting like an ass?
Jerk: Well, you could try reasoning with me.
Ero: But that's clearly not working, did you read my first three lines of this dialogue?
Jerk: So if reasoning doesn't work, your only choice is to escalate it into violence? You can't be a bigger man and simply walk away?
Ero: What are you talking about? Where does this hippie ghandi bigger man bullshit come from? The bigger man isn't afraid to get his hands dirty and his knuckles torn. To crush his enemy, see them driven before him and hear the lamenta...
Jerk: But doesn't that logic simply produce a never-ending cycle of revenge?
Ero: Not if you punch the guy convincingly.
Jerk: Huh?
Ero: You know, hard enough so he agrees with you.
Jerk: What if he wins the fight?
Ero: Couldn't happen.
Jerk: But let's just assume.
Ero: Then I'd have to just bleed on him enough to convince him that laughing at me isn't worth the price of his cleaning bills. You ever seen Cool-Hand Luke?
Jerk: Yeah, I love that movie.
Ero: Isn't Paul Newman great? And I don't mean that in a sissy way. I like him like a man likes a good punching of stuff.
Jerk: So, a lot?
Ero: Oh yeah.
Jerk: That's great. By the way, AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...
[Several minutes later]
Jerk: ...AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
Ero: That's it, I'm calling the floor.
Jerk: What, not man enough to handle your own problems?
Ero: I already told you, I'm happy to meet you outside for pugilism and/or fisticuffs.
Jerk: AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

[/ QUOTE ]

I had to quote this whole part because it's fantastically hilarious. "The line of inexcusability", "AT BAYONET POINT" and the dog-killing part were just wonderful.

Bison, you are so valuable to this board.
Old 09-18-2004, 02:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You see violence is a tool, like a toothbrush or a hammer. Particularly like a hammer.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Jerk: Um, but we live in a society of laws...
Ero: LAWS ENFORCED AT BAYONET-POINT!
Jerk: Can I finish?
Ero: AT BAYONET POINT!

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Ergo, if you cut me off in traffic, I have the right to kill your dog.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Ero: Not if you punch the guy convincingly.
Jerk: Huh?
Ero: You know, hard enough so he agrees with you.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the first time I've ever laughed out loud five separate times while reading a post. Well done, Bison.

Brett
Old 09-18-2004, 02:48 PM

if you are talking to me, then i guess i might have come across this way. i was using the words of ero in my post, just because that is what i thought would help him change his mind about about needless violence. i really am a peaceful person, although i inherited my dad's bad temper. believe it or not, but poker has helped me control my temper. i have not started a fight since high school, and hopefully i won't have to fight again. hey, i'm a lover, not a fighter! seriously though, spitting is disgusting. i would rather be punched in the face than spit on.
Old 09-18-2004, 02:52 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand
Default very well said. n/m

_
Old 09-18-2004, 02:54 PM

If he was in delaware, the age of consent is 12. So it's not that sick. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] Is it? hahahaha

b
Old 09-18-2004, 02:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i would rather be punched in the face than spit on.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ever recovered from a broken facial part? Sorry, i'd rather be spit on. The meaning is the same, so i prefer much less pain and physical recovery time.

b
Old 09-18-2004, 03:03 PM

I'd rather be the guy who takes the a-hole's money throughout the remainder of the day, and then smirks to himself as said a-hole gets up and leaves the table with only his cab fare.

I'm not there to get into a fight, or waste the floor manager's time, just play cards.