Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2004, 03:48 PM

Default Re: Was This A Stupid Push?

Stupid is as stupid does. But you already knew that. Why even ask?
Old 09-16-2004, 04:05 PM

I wish I had read some of your comments to the replies before I originally posted. All your trying to do is justify a dumbass move and claim it as your brilliance.

If you dont really want to hear the truth from people on the forum, dont ask. Your question has hardly even got any debateable merit too it.

I have a great idea tho. Print out your original question, your responses to the particular answers given, as well as those answers. Tape them next to your bathroom mirror for 2 yrs. Hang a pencil and an 8 1/2" x 11" notebook next to these. Every time you go into the bathroom to scratch your ass, shave, brush your teeth etc, if you read it and think of anything about it...write it down. If you haven't turned 180 degrees within 24 months take a 38 cal revolver and shoot your big toe off. It will equall the pain of 2 yrs of losing, bad play you should have experienced by then.

Gawd dam I am a funny mo/fo...I like this idea...Hell I think I may do it on a leak or two I think I have.
Old 09-16-2004, 04:15 PM

If you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anthing at all.
Old 09-16-2004, 04:44 PM

That was nice.

All of the orignal posters comments were arguments to opinions given to him. He clearly wanted to get justification. Personally I believe he is bothered by this ho-hum hand because he knows it's stupid but wants to justify it. I could be wrong but I didnt notice where anyone was in agreement with him making this move given the conditions. And at least a couple opinions came from very knowledgeable and studied, profitable players.

May I take a guess this player/poster is under 23yrs of age?
Why? becuause I and most of us "knew it all" then too.

Those that truly want to know the error of there ways ask and listen. They dont try to justify. If they knew they were right in the first place they probably wouldnt ask. They certainly wouldnt offer rebutle in the form of justification, but in the form of further depth. Being able to read people at the poker table also helps to read people here.
Old 09-16-2004, 05:33 PM

Default Thanks For Your Views Guys

I appreciate reading all of your opinions on what I should have done. It seems the vast majority of you feel I should have folded. Part of me thinks I should have folded and hoped I got a strong hand to double up with. The other part says try to double up now.

Part of it might be that I don't care about making the final table or crawling as far as I can in the money. I only want to finish in the top 3. We started to get paid at 50 and there were 417 entrants but the pay still wasn't much until about 5th.

Bigfishhead when we debate about how we should play hands this is how we improve. If everyone agreed with each other we wouldn't get much accomplished.

My main thing was I was willing to double up there so I would have an adequate stack to start building for the final table. I am not really interested in playing tight and being in 10th or 9th place at the final table.
Old 09-16-2004, 05:49 PM

Default Re: Thanks For Your Views Guys

numerous times I have gone from barely, and I mean barely in the money, to barely, and I mean barely to the next decent pay lvl, to barely and I mean barely final table, to suddenly 4 players left with me at the bottom to 3 players left and me in 2nd to chip leader and taking the money.

I suggest not listening to gamboolero theories unless you feel you game is that much weaker than your opponents and it's the only way you can get to that top 5 you want so badly. If that be the case then GAMBOOL you must.

Your responses (the 2 I saw from the early AM hrs) were obviously of a nature of justifying your move, as I have already stated. But I think you also know it was a huge mistake. I have no inclinations to "pull punches" when it comes to saying how I see things. Leave that to the politically correct. I believe in the "tough love" theory if you will. Hence, my "stupid is as stupid does" post. My feeling is you still know it was a boneheaded move. It isnt like your the only one to have ever done it. 98% of us have.
Old 09-16-2004, 06:10 PM

The reason I'm defending my move is because I still like it, but I'm not 100% sure about. The answers for why it is wrong are not doing it for me.

And you've on numerous occasions, gone from short-stacked with 2 tables left, to winning the tournament? Well you play a hell of a short-stack, congrats.
Old 09-16-2004, 07:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

And you've on numerous occasions, gone from short-stacked with 2 tables left, to winning the tournament? Well you play a hell of a short-stack, congrats.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have too, it's not as uncommon as you may think.
Old 09-16-2004, 11:52 PM

Default I\'m Impressed

I'm just impressed that you guys have won numerous multi-table tournaments, nonetheless numerous ones while short-stacked. Must have a ton of MTT victories under your belt.
Old 09-17-2004, 07:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The reason I'm defending my move is because I still like it, but I'm not 100% sure about. The answers for why it is wrong are not doing it for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

1. If you still like your move, and don't see why hoping to double up with a 10 high is not a Smart move, then I don't know how we can help you.

2. It's not as hard as you think to advance witha short stack. Usually the difference between a short stack and a medium/bigger stack is not as big as you'd think. Since many people get nervous and play crap like 10-8 off suit, those who can be patent and stick around and wait for the good hands can double up easily.

Lets say you folded the 10-8, dropped to 6000 - doubled up to 12000. Dropped to 10000 (blinds and antes) - now you double up again, and your at 20000. I'm guessing your a pretty normal sized stack all of a sudden