Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2004, 10:04 PM

Default Re: The silence of the Daliman (long)

the 52 k was in ~1500 SNG's. The >100 hours referred only to my NL cash winnings.
Old 09-15-2004, 10:43 PM

Daliman...
In the big scheme of things money comes and goes... but your wife and kid are irreplacable and you still have them...so you are still a winner in life, and you really haven't lost that much...
Old 09-16-2004, 01:38 AM

They should rename that 50/25 NL table "Dream Killer", because you are not the only who took a hard earned bankroll into that viper's pit and came away nearly empty handed. I can't say I have the greatest sympathy for you because you really should have known better. But there's no need for any lecture on that. I did the same early on in my poker playing, pushing myself into Paradise's 20/40 too quickly when I first started and was winning steadily, only to crash back down to 2/4 again when that game crushed me and my roll. You've shown a lot of courage posting this, I'll give you that. And I'm sure you'll work your way back up. But you should vow never to play at that UB table again until you had a solid six figure roll.
Old 09-16-2004, 02:11 AM

Default Re: WOW!

Maybe its because your opponents keep outdrawing your "superior" hands four times out of ten that is really killing you.

-SmileyEH
Old 09-16-2004, 11:57 AM

Default Re: WOW!

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe its because your opponents keep outdrawing your "superior" hands four times out of ten that is really killing you.

-SmileyEH

[/ QUOTE ]

if you mean outdrawing by making a straight or a flush, then no. the biggest loss i sustained on a made draw was when i reraised with A A against some LAG guy who was holding Q J-suited who called and the flop hit Q A K giving me trips (he had a pair of Queens, a straight draw, and a royal flush draw as the Ace and King were of his suit). he went all-in, i naturally had to call because i had him covered. true to form, a 10 falls on the turn and he wins a huge pot. i think i went out in 4th in the SNG, out of the money. most of my losses to inferior hands have come on the river. i lose the most chips (pots) on the river (either to a last minute catch which beats my hand or i have to laydown after having wasted chips on an outdraw) or by getting knocked out altogether in the SNG, usually around 4th-6th. these rivers and losses to inferior hands also happen ITM giving me an unbalanced amount of 2nds and 3rds which affect ROI. have that happen too many times over a short period of time and your ITM finishes cannot compensate for buy-ins you lose by not making it to these same beats. we all know it's poker, but that statement never makes it better.
Old 09-16-2004, 04:57 PM

Daliman: Thank you very much for this post. I had delusions of grandeur on the basis of one week's winnings and I would like to think that this might serve as a valuable warning if that one week were to somehow become a few months. One question -- don't answer if too personal, of course, but I couldn't tell if this was a deliberate omission or not. What were your total losses during this period? It seems like you might still have been up overall even after all this.
Old 09-16-2004, 05:02 PM

ya, still well up overall, but most of the up $$ is gone, paying bills and down payment on a new home. Cumulative losses for the period are ~33k.
Old 09-16-2004, 10:16 PM

Just to add to the list: Fúcking well done for coming out and posting as you did, shows a hell of a lot of character.
Old 09-21-2004, 08:10 PM

Thanks for the very interesting story. It certainly serves as a warning to others. And it took a lot of guts to post it. Doing so shows you're on an important upswing already. Hopefully you'll just let nature take its course and not try to force it. Funny how winning poker is about aligning yourself with the probabilities, yet it can lead so many profitable players to do improbable things.
Old 09-21-2004, 11:17 PM

wow..that puts my losing streak in perspective.

I started with $800 for this month playing 30+3 sng's. went down to $600 and switched to $20+2. I'm down to $100 right now [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] and was going to xfer some $ from my netteller acct to party. (i'm still up $2000 overall.)

but after reading Daliman's post, i think i'll take a break instead.

this could also be a conspiracy. let us have a good winning streak so we keep coming back. once we're hooked, program the software to make us lose to new comers to have them hooked. (look ma, i won all this $ without even trying.) rince and repeat.