Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2004, 09:08 AM

Default Re: Luske and Williams

I might be a crotchety old so-and-so, but even I had to like the Luske/Williams story.

It seemed genuine, and that's enough for me these days.
Old 09-15-2004, 09:20 AM

It seemed to me that ESPN played up this relationship a bit.
I mean, how close can two guys get over the course of a tournament?

Maybe I'm just jaded.

Iash
Old 09-15-2004, 09:48 AM

There was a hand where Williams raised pre-flop when he was short-stacked and Luske was to his left. Luske looked like he wanted to play the hand but decided not to mix it up with his student and mucked. This wasn't at the TV table so we never found out what Luske had... Could he have been soft playing his new buddy? Were there any televised hands where both of them were involved?
Old 09-15-2004, 09:54 AM

I think it was pretty legit. When Luske said..."Don't worry you have me"...I got the Warm and Fuzzys.
Old 09-15-2004, 11:30 AM

Believe me, you're no more jaded than I am.

But there's no way you can tell me that Williams was not sincerely emotional when Luske busted out.

I think I got something in my eye. Oh, these allergies! Excuse me a minute...
Old 09-15-2004, 11:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Luske is not downright offensive. He says stuff like "You like your flush?! I still want all your chips!!!"
Matusow is like "Suck my #$%, calling with that #$#@"
Helmuth berates play and states that "if it weren't for luck, I'd win everytime"

Big difference IMO

By the way, when phil and mike bust out, they meltdown, literally crying and cursing the poker gods. Luske bows out gracefully, in an almost cartoonish "happy ending" way. Love him. Would Phil come back to coach his newfound 23 year old buddy? Yeah right

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummm..Phil was shown coming back to cheer on and offer support to crowd favorite Doyle Brunson...not exactly the same thing, but the same idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, and he told Doyle the reason he's rooting for him to win it is because he wants a reminder that Phil can do it aswell.
Old 09-15-2004, 09:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Were there any televised hands where both of them were involved?

[/ QUOTE ]

Good question. Anyway, everyone's remarks on Hellmuth are one the money. He is a self-promoting A-hole. Although, I have heard in several interviews with pros, that he IS a really nice guy away from the table.
I think it's great that Williams finished second with $3.5 mil. It was a nice surprise for me because I was under the impression that that arrogant beotch Aeriah got second. Now talk about someone talking trash. He never stopped. He makes Luske look like the pope. Luske acted like a complete gentleman in my opinion, albeit one with a very good sense of humor. Aeriah was a step below Matesau, or maybe a step above.
Old 09-16-2004, 02:07 AM

iread an article on cardplayer where matusow and luske (i believe) both got time away from the table for their antics in tournaments. from what ive seen ill take marcel and mattias over arieh and matusow for table mates anyday(skills aside). luske is funny, and anderson just really wants to win he never berates his opponenets and is shaking hands at the end . of the 4 arieh may be the best player, but who wants to hear a bunch of [censored] when you win a hand, this is a tough game, it aint black and white especially in nlhe. and on phil hellmuth, i love to watch an untilted hellmuth play i think his emotions keep him from winning more than his opponents, or the cards(self serving whiner definitely but he got the skills). on dave wiliams he was an acquaintance/associate when i worked in the gaming industry, a nice fellow, very confident, cool under pressure. just me thoughts and its nice to see a 23 year old in the mix,
jason