Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2004, 06:01 PM

Default Re: John Kerry You\'re Busted

I think Bush means it when he talks about an "ownership society."

Contrary to many politicians, Bush actually does believe in some things.
Old 09-07-2004, 06:24 PM

Default I\'m Busted (n/m)

Old 09-07-2004, 07:56 PM

I'm with the comedian who said the difference between the two parties is that the Democratic Party is the party of no ideas and the Republican Party is the party of bad ideas. (Normally, I would take credit for the line myself, but I've been busted here before.)
Old 09-07-2004, 11:16 PM

You are correct to castigate both parties for their lackluster way of trying to address large economic issues (or not address them at all) that need to be dealt with. Neither party (as everyone sort of agreed later on in this thread) has shown much courage or political will to tackle these issues of importance.

It is always more fun (at least for me) to jab at the democrats. A main reason being that I have heard this same tired rhetoric for so long that I simply gag at it now. I honestly cannot listen to Kerry speak. He is revolting to me.

I saw the ‘third party’ debate between Michael Badnarik (libertarian) and David Cobb (Green Party) on C-Span, I think. About 50 people were in the audience. These two also hee-hawed about some things or gave pat answers etc but were at least a little more forthcoming on specifics or issues.

This country does need a third or fourth party if for no other reason than to revitalize the morbid two parties that we now have and that are more alike than different, with both having more bad ideas than good. This is one reason that I like the fact that Ralph Nader is running for president.

-Zeno
Old 09-08-2004, 09:54 AM

Zeno,

Im still waiting for the Libertarian party to make a big move. I know they have been fairly successful in local and to some degree state government. As I see it, the Libertarian party is probably the closest in its ideology to what the average American actually believes. As I see it the problem with Libertarianism is this:

1) They emphasize the drug legalization plank waaaaaay too much. Neal Boortz has a great article on this somewhere in his townhall.com archive. I tend to agree with this.

2) They are still too "ideologically pure". By this I mean that they are hellbent for leather on imposing very piece of their philosophy. They dont quite get the fact that it is nearly impossible to accomplish anything in politics these days with out some sort of concession

3) They dont advertise enough. Im not talking about political ads for their Presidential candidate (excuse me while I giggle, the the guy they nominated is pretty bland and is not going to garner them any attention). I think they could do themselves a great service by running ads along the lines of "Do you believe in X,Y,Z? Tired of the same old tired politics? Then check out this resource for information on why Libertarianism is right for you."

Even all this might still not be enough. But I know I cant vote for Libertarian candidate (should I be so inclined) until they can present viable candidate.