Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2004, 07:37 PM

Default Re: Pocket Rockets... want callers?

You're misquoting Lee Jones. I don't have my copy of WLLH handy, but I recall reading the part you're quoting and that's not what he said.

He did mention that AA against many callers only wins 30-something percent of the time, but then he immediately goes to say something along the lines of "that's ok though, because you'd win more than your fair share if everyone called your AA every time" or something to that nature. If someone has the book handy and could give us a direct quote, that'd be great.
Old 09-08-2004, 07:53 PM

Original poster was likely referring to the pre-flop section, which states:

"With AA-JJ (and occasionally TT), raise - you have a very big hand. However, against eight random hands, your pocket aces will end up the best hand only about 35% of the time."

You're referring to the sentence right after it that he probably skipped over, that goes on to say:

"Don't feel bad about that; if you got pocket aces on every hand (and your opponents forgot this after every hand), you would make a ton of money."
Old 09-09-2004, 12:20 AM

Thanks topspin - that looks like it. He's trying to point out that although pocket aces is a monster starting hand, it's not guaranteed to win every time if everybody comes along for the ride, but alludes to the point Sklansky (it was Sklansky, right?) about winning MONEY, not pots.