Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2004, 05:25 PM

Default Re: Ed Miller planning second book

A book solely for high stakes doesn't have a big enough market. Furthermore I believe pointing out the differences would enhance the understanding for the small stakes player. Plus it would help when he happens to be facing the rare good player in these games.
Old 08-22-2004, 05:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
We are thinking about a book of problem hands where each question is answered two ways. Ed gives you the best play against smaller stakes, weaker players; while I expound on what you should do with the same hand in tough 100-200 games. Perhaps Mason would then point out the concepts that caused the differences. Would you like that?

[/ QUOTE ]

A great big yes, and a suggestion. Please, in any book you ever do, when discussing hands or doing quizzes, separate the question and the answer. It is very difficult to go through the hand quizzes in SSH, reading and thinking about the hand while trying to cover up the answer. Often, while trying not to see the answer to the hand I am reading, my eyes go to the answer to the next hand quiz.

Perhaps a poll on the subject might be in order, but I would much prefer flipping back and forth between questions and answers on different pages than fumble around trying to cover up the answer right below the question.
Old 08-22-2004, 07:44 PM

at first, i thought a book of hand-quizzes where the answers aren't quite so clear cut as some of the SSHE example hands would be good.
hands that really come close to the border on one or two of the decisions.

i don't have a problem with the SSHE hand-quizzes...their obvious intention is to really drive home the points made throughout the text....and frankly, this is what i needed.

but i am now liking David's idea a bit more now that i'm thinking about it....and i suspect it will have to be designed in such a way that many of the hands are reasonably close decisions anyway (which is what i wanted in a future hand-quiz book inthe first place).

i would also like the book to include discussion of how the hand would be played somewhere in-between SS-loose and tough 100/200.
for example: in a SS game you can play it this way, if the game isn't that loose and the players aren't likely to call you down with anything then you may want to consider this...etc etc...

and then toss in the 100/200 example as well to see how it looks at a super-tough table.

i know Ed does some of this 'if the table is tighter then do this' type of exceptions....but i would have liked more.
these are actually a bit more important to me.

on party 2/4 and 3/6, the players CAN be really bad....but they still don't fall into the 'loose' category of the California B&M games (based on what i have read).
most of the time, it's around 35% seeing the flop....and they don't ALWAYS chase to the river with T2o.

anyway, i guess what i'm rambling about here is that i would like to see some content in the hand-quizzes book that bridges the gap between SS-loose (5-7 to the flop) and tough 100/200. for many of us online players, this 'in-between' area holds the most relevance.....and i think would be most valuable in helping the reader see how the play of a hand can be altered as the quality of players at the table changes.
Old 08-22-2004, 08:28 PM

I love the idea of a book designed to point out how hands should be handled against differing levels of competition.

However, do you view 100/200 as the level where the toughest competition first appears? Perhaps, if the playing style is similar, it would be better to gear the high end toward 10/20 or 30/60. Marketing-wise, I think this would appeal to a wider audience, as 100/200 is beyond the bankroll of most.
Old 08-22-2004, 08:38 PM

absolutly great idea
Old 08-22-2004, 09:23 PM

I said 100-200 to avoid arguing with those who think 40-80 games are now pieces of cake.
Old 08-22-2004, 09:46 PM

LOL
Old 08-22-2004, 10:22 PM

I'm a long time lurker, but the idea of a hands example book got me excited enough to post my first response.

As a suggestion, I think it would be nice to have some sort of companion CD with a simple software program that can playback the example hands. This would allow the user to interactively decide what to do at each stage of a hand. You could then click on a button and Ed's or David's advice could be seen.

Speaking from personal experience, I'm more of a "hands-on" learner, and something like this would be immensely helpful. And it would also prevent someone from "accidently" cheating and reading the answers before making their decision.
Old 08-22-2004, 10:25 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

I said 100-200 to avoid arguing with those who think 40-80 games are now pieces of cake

rofl!
Old 08-22-2004, 11:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Check out Roy Cooke's Real Poker II - the play of hands. I think Mason gave it a 9.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah that's one of the next books i wanna pickup, i almost bought it the same day i bought sshe at gamblers book shop, but i thought i don't wanna get crazy and buy a ton of books at once and not get around to reading them until later. I like concentrating on one book so as not to try to read too quickly to get through all my new books. But thank you for the suggestion [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I like the idea of the example book with the differences in higher/lower-tougher/softer explanations. Not necessarily because of the limit differences, but as David pointed out, sometimes you (accidentally) find yourself in a tougher game at your usual limits. I think a second approach to a specific hand where your opponents deserve a little more respect may be beneficial to improving thought processes overall.

regards,
bonanz