Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2004, 03:17 PM

Default Re: How to play the bitch-straight?

It has been my belief, for quite a while, that almost all 2+2ers complete too often from the SB. The times ending up in trouble matching the times winning a big pot. You play well postflop, but you are still playing out of position, with shallow stacks, with just about the worst hand out there.
Old 08-19-2004, 03:18 PM

Raising has infinitely more merit than completing IMO. I still fold though.
Old 08-19-2004, 03:33 PM

I think the call is a lot better with 45o than 23o, since you can only flop 1 straight with 23o that is the nut straight.
Old 08-19-2004, 03:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
With the laggy bb I would go for the check raise here, you might even trap the button, and yes I would make it a big one. I take back the comment about waiting for the turn, that would be a mistake.
Do you think this is a bad play? or just not as good as a bet looking for a raise?

[/ QUOTE ]
If the player on my left really is that aggressive, and I'm almost sure he will bet if I check (but may well fold if I bet and he doesn't have much), then going for the checkraise would be the better play in my view.

[ QUOTE ]
How much do you bet here?

[/ QUOTE ]
If I had decided to bet out, instead of checkraising, I'd bet 1200 probably (2/3 the pot) since it's a rainbow flop. If the flop had a potential flush draw, my bet would be greater, maybe 1500 to 1800.

[ QUOTE ]
If you do get to reraise are you looking to raise the player out of the hand then and there?

[/ QUOTE ]
No, I'd want the checkraise to be as much as I think he would call if he has A6 (TPTK). It's a bit hard to get specific in the abstract, because shorthanded play is so psychological -- so much depends on what you've seen the other players do and what they've seen you do. So for example, suppose that on a previous hand this player saw me put in a big raise on a raggedy flop with just overcards, AK or something. Then I'm also going to put in a big raise here with the flopped straight. But if he hasn't seen me make any big raises before, I will be more restrained now.
Old 08-19-2004, 03:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It has been my belief, for quite a while, that almost all 2+2ers complete too often from the SB. The times ending up in trouble matching the times winning a big pot. You play well postflop, but you are still playing out of position, with shallow stacks, with just about the worst hand out there.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you at a full table, but we are 3 handed. and its not that short stacked.
Old 08-19-2004, 03:45 PM

IMO 15BB is a shallow stack, and the limper only has 10BB.
Old 08-19-2004, 03:57 PM

i think you should have bet a bit more on the turn, but the slowplay in general is perfectly fine, if not mandatory with this hand. i would expect you to lose this almost never 3-handed. then again, if i were BB here, i would expect to win almost always with my flopped 2-pair as well. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

cheers!
Old 08-19-2004, 04:03 PM

Am I am track with your thinking here Annie?

My good flops are x32. But that only gives one other card out there for someone to like, and they have to like it enough to get many chips in, and I still have bottom two pair, which can be counterfeited. You have a big edge vs. TP, but its still only 3:1. The fact that its harder for an opponent to like x32 enough to get lots chips in seems like the reverse implied odds piece.

Or a straight with A45, 456. But 456 can be up against other hands like 67 where you are again a big favorite at 2:1 but not a overwhelming favorite.

Or x45 for OESD. Or a A4x, but that’s just a gutshot

Conclusion: I’ll flop a monster alittle less frequently than with some other hands, and when I do, it’s alittle less secure/dominating than some other situations—you are never a mortal lock. The more I think about this, the less I like the 32o complete. I still think its not so bad a call, but maybe fold is better.

Nice bracelet!
Old 08-19-2004, 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
IMO 15BB is a shallow stack, and the limper only has 10BB.

[/ QUOTE ]

oh, yeah...I miscalculated the stack sizes. I like the call less, but I still think I would complete here if the BB isn't too aggro.
Old 08-19-2004, 04:10 PM

That's what I was thinking when I said to fold preflop. I like this complete with 54 or 65 a lot more than I like 32.

And I'd still say to bet the flop. The LAG might bluff at this heads up, but he's not closing the action; the button is, and he could very well limp in with something that likes this flop. Moreover, even a LAG isn't usually going to bet this with 82o, which you *hate* giving a freebie to.