Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2004, 07:00 AM

Default Re: Flopped a set, but wait now theres a three flush.

No way.

Min raises are crap, that's why not. And it's a min raise of an underbet. Bent.

Another reason not to raise is the full house draw. It's around 6:1 on the next card and if he is reraised by the villian (he's loose, so he might) then he might be denied even the implied odds to draw, and decide he's beaten and fold.

It's a call on the turn. It's a call or fold on the river, player dependant but against most good players I call the river bet.

Jon
Old 08-19-2004, 08:21 AM

you played it fine on all streets i think
Old 08-19-2004, 09:21 AM

Bunky: didn't know you were a 2+2er and for some time. See you on the Full Tilt a good bit. Gladly the stakes are low enough to keep most good players away (what a great site full of loose players!)

I would have to agree with your play of the hand. My guess is that he either hit top pair and tried to push you around a bit, or has a very insecure flush. I would have played the hand pretty much the same way. If he pushes too hard you have to fold, but for that price your set is good at least 50% of the time. Call and hope he didn't get lucky with the draw.
Old 08-19-2004, 09:40 AM

ok i dont really like the rivercall but its not all that wrong as he bet only a little more than half the pot giving you good odds on a call.

flop: 40$ bet is good i like that.

turn: he is betting into you 30$ in a 128$ and he is a bad player. When a bad player underbets the pot it is usually for one of two reasons

1. He has a rather bad made hand i.e a pair of aces with a weak kicker trying to get a cheap showdown or perhaps a draw (i.e Kd8h)also trying to see the next card cheap. he would probably never bet a weak made hand here as players are afraid of tree flush on board.

2. He has the flush and as a bad player he wants to bet a little so he doesnt scare you away from the pot.

on the turn you must call pot/implied odds make this a clear call, many players would call a lot with nut flush on a paired board. i dont know about this though.

River: This is what this player is thinking when he makes that bet: Ok, so he called that 30$ bet hmm...what amount should i bet now? i do have the nuts so i bettar make sure i get paid here, and he called that smallish bet so i will make a bit bigger this time not too big tho that would probably make him fold . almost half the pot seems like a good idea.

with this river bet he is telling you, no he is screaming,
I am not afriad of you holding a flush as i bet into you twice first time i wanted to make sure you didnt fold so i bet a little and on the river i decided to get paid a little more, after all you did call my turn bet.

I cant imagine him betting any other holding than a flush for value here and a bluff seems remote hes bad not a idiot self destructive maniac, surely there must be better spots to run a bluff. no hes betting the precise amount he thinks you will call.

plz feel free to critize my post if you find anything you disagree with.
Old 08-19-2004, 12:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you played it fine on all streets i think

[/ QUOTE ]

ditto.
Old 08-19-2004, 03:35 PM

Where'd he say the guy was a bad player? He just said he was loose.
Old 08-19-2004, 04:03 PM

He never raised at any point during the hand, so I assume you're referring to his bet on the flop. With a set of 8's he doesn't want to take it down, he wants action, so I like the amount he bet. Most of the time a diamond won't fall on the turn, so 4/5 of the time or so he'll have a good chance of making more than if he took it down on the flop.
Old 08-19-2004, 07:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
turn: he is betting into you 30$ in a 128$ and he is a bad player. When a bad player underbets the pot it is usually for one of two reasons

[/ QUOTE ]
Quite the contrary, This guy knew how to play after the flop , he just saw way too many flops for my liking. he was far from a bad player.

Being that he was a good player and he was on the loose side. I couldn't be sure if he had the flush or not. I definitely win there more than 25% of the time which is basically what my call amounted to (Give or take).

Thats why I thought so long on the river before calling.

I assure you if he knew I had a set he would NOT have only bet $30.00 on the turn.
Old 08-19-2004, 07:09 PM

Just so you know my plan of attack on the non diamond turn was a gross overbet of the pot. Somewhere in the $200-250 range.
Old 08-20-2004, 12:59 AM

Why were you planning to do that?