Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2004, 02:36 AM

Default Illumination round

"Curious how an article defending Kerry by O'Reilly will be played on 2+2."

Here's how:

O'Reilly is an ill-educated buffoon, a bully and a liar. In short, an a-hole. And he got most of the points about Kerry's military record right.

I guess there's light at the end of an a-hole.

Bill O'Reilly: Wrong to attack Kerry's war record
Old 08-17-2004, 02:56 AM

Default Re: O\'Reilly on the Swift Boat Vets

Kerry lied about going into Cambodia and lied about atrocities being committed in Veitnam. He lied and purposely portrayed the United States in a blantantly false negative light to the rest of the world in order to further his own politcal causes. I have a problem with that.

Stu
Old 08-17-2004, 03:22 AM

Whether or not he went in to Cambodia (especially if he was honestly mistaken) is not a huge issue. There were attrocities committed in Vietnam; maybe not the the extent he implied, but that does not change the fact that they happened. The war was a bad thing and the vast majority of Americans agree with me on this account. Perhaps (probably) he overemphasized the negative things, simply to illustrate that we should not be in Vietnam. He did not portray the US as a whole in a negative light and I challenge you to prove otherwise. I am not a huge Kerry supporter, but I find this particular criticism of him to be rather weak.
Old 08-17-2004, 03:35 AM

If you question Kerry's service then you have to question the service of Bush and Cheney. Say what you want about Kerry's inflated war medal count. He fought for his country. Bush and Cheney were cowards. You can not argue that.
Old 08-17-2004, 06:10 AM

Default Wait A Second Here

[ QUOTE ]
O'Reilly is an ill-educated buffoon, a bully and a liar. In short, an a-hole.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not many state that Fox News is left wing biased but if you say so [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].
Old 08-17-2004, 09:25 AM

Sure. Bush and Cheney's record are very open to scunity.

However, they are not running on those records as a basis for their campaign. Kerry is.

Interesting. Why werent the democrats all wound up about Clinton's draft dodging - but they now want to attack the Bush for serving in the only the National Guard? Politics maybe? Same goes for the Republicans
Old 08-17-2004, 09:29 AM

Default Re: Illumination round

O'Reilly is an ill-educated buffoon, a bully and a liar. In short, an a-hole.

sigh. I miss the days when you were clever.
Old 08-17-2004, 10:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you question Kerry's service then you have to question the service of Bush and Cheney. Say what you want about Kerry's inflated war medal count. He fought for his country. Bush and Cheney were cowards. You can not argue that.

[/ QUOTE ]

How about Clinton vs. Dole? The Democrats weren't screaming about Clinton being a coward. It's political gamesmanship to the max. I posted about the Viet Nam war in where claims of atrocities were widespread (if you accept the "carpet bombing" of targets as atrocities then the claims are valid without any further discussion) and Mai Lai in particular. I also posted about when Kerry went into the military and when Bush was eligible for the draft last week. Given the time frame and what was going down in the war in Viet Nam at the time Bush was eligible for the draft, I asked what was the honorable thing to do at the time? I stipulated that Bush used his connections to get his National Guard position and that Bush probably didn't care too much about Viet Nam. The question regarding the honorable choice still stands.
Old 08-17-2004, 10:56 AM

I have already said this before on here, this swift boat "controversy" is still a non-issue. I know Kerry is running PARTLY on his war record but to be honest with you no one really cares. Just like no one really cares about Bush's record, and just like no one cared about Clintons or Doles. The majority of Americans do not care. Now, there is one thing that disturbs me here though. I am noticing a disturbing pattern from Bush's election team(aka Rove). They are trying to paint Kerry as an un-American, and questions his patriotism and record in Vietnam. Bush's team did the same thing to McCain in 2000 and to Max Clelland in Georgia in 2002. This seems like a pattern to me, and I for one am glad McCain is standing up for Kerry.
Old 08-17-2004, 12:32 PM

Taxman quote:

[ QUOTE ]
Any news station that has as many conservative talk shows (re: all of them except, theoretically, for Hannity and Colmes) and that condones it's anchors finishing their segment by admonishing critics of Rush Limbaugh (I witnessed this first hand) has at least a slight consevative bias by my book, but that's just me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I feel the need to post this, for clarity:

Liberals with their own shows on Fox News:

Greta Van Susteren (On the Record)
Geraldo Rivera (At Large)
Alan Colmes (Hannity and Colmes - although, Hannity is like a bull in a china shop on this show)

Shows that prominently feature liberals:

Fox News Watch (2 from left, 2 from right and a boring host)
Fox News Sunday (2 from left - Juan Williams and Mara Liasson, 2 from right - various)

Prominent liberals featured as guest hosts regularly:

Susan Estrich
Geraldine Ferraro
Lis Wiehl
Robert F. Kennedy (fills in for Colmes, fights with bull in a china shop Hannity)

Now - I'm only talking of FNC's "commentary" shows or segments, here. FNC's business coverage (Cavuto, Bulls and Bears, etc.) tends to have a conservative slant because, well, business types tend to be Republican/conservative...you will find similar on CNBC. WSJ types tend to be Republican or Libertarian, and at times fiscal conservative Democrat.