Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2004, 06:01 PM

Default Re: O8 Newbie questions

i agree, i don't care how tight you are, if you have never played omaha before, prepare to take some hellacious beatings

i first learned omaha in a dealer's choice home game about 6-7 yrs ago and let's just say i ended up paying a lot for lessons - i got smoked... and if i recall, we were only playing 1/2

mike
Old 08-22-2004, 09:59 AM

I think that 30 BB is enough for a session.At loose lower limit games if you just stick to strong starting hands that are working and pay attention to position you should be able to show a profit. [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 08-30-2004, 09:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think that 30 BB is enough for a session.At loose lower limit games if you just stick to strong starting hands that are working and pay attention to position you should be able to show a profit. [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not right away. This game is tricky to learn - I've lost 36 BB over the weekend at Party .5/1. Playing "tight" pre-flop isn't enough. Just a warning to others learning to play - it doesn't happen right away - expect to lose some when you first play. Hopefully I'll be able to make a profit on this game someday...
Old 08-30-2004, 12:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Not right away. This game is tricky to learn - I've lost 36 BB over the weekend at Party .5/1. Playing "tight" pre-flop isn't enough. Just a warning to others learning to play - it doesn't happen right away - expect to lose some when you first play. Hopefully I'll be able to make a profit on this game someday...

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I have to agree. When I first started playing, even though I was experienced at other games, I was hemorrhaging money. And I played tighter than most of my opponents before the flop. (I've made some other posts on the forum about this. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img])

Playing tight after the flop is also critical. Draw to the nuts. Today when I play, I'm really looking for a draw to the nut low, a draw to the nut flush, an open-ended or wraparound straight draw, or top set. Most other hands go into the muck.
Old 08-30-2004, 01:03 PM

My biggest mistake was going to a lowlimitomaha.com and using their starting hands - the biggest leak I think I had was playing A3xx if the A is unsuited. Since switching to the starting hands for beginners posted on RGB and here, I've lost a lot less money.

I'm going to re-read crockpot's page on O8 make sure I'm playing the basic situations right - hopefully that will plug some leaks, too.