Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2004, 02:21 PM

Default Re: ESPN Tournament of Champions field

woops, my bad. Damn multi tasking....
Old 08-08-2004, 02:51 PM

Danny N is not there? That's a shocker. (not being facetious). I thought he dominated the WSOP this year?
Old 08-08-2004, 03:26 PM

Silly question, but are all 10 of you putting up 200K, or is this 2 million sponsored by some company? It seems rather foolish to offer 2 million for what is essentially a 2 hour event on TV, but that's poker for you.

Kevin...
Old 08-08-2004, 07:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
are all 10 of you putting up 200K

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd be curious as well, but my guess is that it's almost certainly sponsored. I doubt you'd get these guys to sit down together if they were risking their own money on a winner take all shot.

J
Old 08-08-2004, 07:37 PM

Actually, there's a tournament that's goning to be broadcast super bowl sunday that has legendary players putting in a lot of their own money for a really big prize (Among them Cloutier, Lederer, Brunson, Reese, Chan, Ivey, Hansen, etc etc).

Cardplayer had an article on it in their archives, "Ace among Kings", should be pretty easy to find.

Annie, I believe you got voted in primarily because you represent a major facet (sp?) of the women's poker game, no doubt caused by your run in the 03 WSOP (and to any enthusiasts, your run in '00).

Who's to say Jennifer Harman or Kathy Liebert could have taken your place in this thing had they made the final table in 03? Who knows. Polls are just trends of popular opinion, and you beating up on some of the best poker players in the world probably had to do with your nomination [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-08-2004, 09:09 PM

I'd like to know who they polled. No Negreanu, Hansen, or Forrest is ridiculous IMO. I don't want to say that ESPN had influence over who was chosen, but I think the voters are idiots.
Old 08-08-2004, 10:15 PM

Didn't Negreanu finish first in the WSOP standings and 2nd in the WPT? How could he possibly not be in?
Old 08-08-2004, 10:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Didn't Negreanu finish first in the WSOP standings and 2nd in the WPT? How could he possibly not be in?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure, but do you like Wu Tang?
Old 08-08-2004, 11:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Actually, there's a tournament that's goning to be broadcast super bowl sunday that has legendary players putting in a lot of their own money for a really big prize (Among them Cloutier, Lederer, Brunson, Reese, Chan, Ivey, Hansen, etc etc).

Cardplayer had an article on it in their archives, "Ace among Kings", should be pretty easy to find.

[/ QUOTE ]

The ace among kings tournament has multiple payouts and multiple stages...the way the ESPN tournament is looking it appears to be a one time shot and winner take all, essentially a SNG with a $200k buy-in.

My point was that 200k is a lot (even to these pros) to sit down and risk on an all or nothing shot against the best in the world...it's money they could use in much better ways, which is why I suspected the prize pool is sponsored in whole or part. I certainly don't know one way or the other and would be curious to find out...maybe 200k isn't that much and it's worth the gamble to those involved (and this might explain why some of the other names that have been mentioned in the thread aren't appearing as they didn't want to risk the money).

Whatever, I'm just wondering.

J
Old 08-09-2004, 12:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The ace among kings tournament has multiple payouts and multiple stages...the way the ESPN tournament is looking it appears to be a one time shot and winner take all, essentially a SNG with a $200k buy-in.

My point was that 200k is a lot (even to these pros) to sit down and risk on an all or nothing shot against the best in the world...it's money they could use in much better ways, which is why I suspected the prize pool is sponsored in whole or part. I certainly don't know one way or the other and would be curious to find out...maybe 200k isn't that much and it's worth the gamble to those involved (and this might explain why some of the other names that have been mentioned in the thread aren't appearing as they didn't want to risk the money).

Whatever, I'm just wondering.

J

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not correct Jason, the Ace among Kings tourney is winner take all. Straight from Cardplayer,

"FoxSportsNet would broadcast two tournaments. These tournaments would be broken into 12 episodes, starting on Sunday, Aug. 15, 2004, at 9 p.m. and running on each consecutive Sunday after that. Each tournament would consist of two matches and one finale. The purpose of each match would be to accumulate chips for the finale. The purpose of each finale on FSN would be to accumulate chips for the championship on NBC. For each match on FSN, players would begin with $100,000 of their $400,000 buy-in. NBC would then televise the championship on Super Bowl Sunday, Feb 6., two hours prior to the Super Bowl. This format would give the players several chances to accumulate chips for the final championship. The players who perform the best in the matches will have more chips to start the finale, and the players who perform the best in the finale will have more chips to start the championship. So, a lucky break would help only so much if you couldn't keep up the good work in the rest of the games."