Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2004, 08:46 PM

Default Re: Forward by Sklanksy of SSH

[ QUOTE ]
Because of the short term fluctuations involved in this game they are amplified on both the up and downside online.

[/ QUOTE ]

actually...the fact that you are able to realistically play up to 10k hands per week online compared with 1.5k or so in a B&M means that you get to the long-run faster and the short-term ups and downs are much easier to overcome.
i would NEVER want to try to do this in a B&M unless i had the skill and bankroll to consistently beat the 15/30 game...and even then, i think it might be a tougher grind then playing 4-tables of 3/6. just my personal preference.

[ QUOTE ]
if it was this lucrative authors like your self who have played little but theorized much, would be in there playing.

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't know Ed personally...but i would submit that he has probably played more than you are assuming.
regardless, i don't think you should be making unjustified assumptions about how much he has or has not played unless you know something that we don't.

[ QUOTE ]
The excuse is that it bores you, or its not your goal in life to play cards when the truth is that it's brutally hard, and you give players false hope all well knowing that your profit motive for moving to vegas was not to play cards but to write about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

again...i think that some of these observations and criticisms are a bit irresponsible.
based on ed's passion for the game as exemplified in his posts and now his book i find it unlikely that it truly bores him. maybe he doesn't want to play poker 24/7....but i don't think that you or i are in a position to make judgements on how excited he is about the game or how much he actually plays.

[ QUOTE ]
or the math breakdown of how its possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

the math doesn't just show that it's possible.
it shows that it is reasonably easy and extremely realistic for someone who applies themselves just a little bit.

2BB/100 while playing 4 tables is not that hard for many people. so just put in the necessary number of hours per week and BANG...you've got your $1k/wk average right there.

also notice that i'm talking about just 4-tabling.
not everyone can play 6-8 tables....but i sometimes do at 2/4 and 3/6....
slightly lower win-rate per table...but higher win-rate combined per hour.

or i'll play 3-4 short-tables so that's usually going to be more than 200 hds hr. probably closer to 300 hds hour.
2BB/100 at 3/6 X 300 hds = $36/hr

sklansky said that making $50k per year playing 3/6 is now 'no big deal'. this is in fact quite true.
Old 07-31-2004, 08:46 PM

"dont know alot of people that are doing it, but it certainly can be done"

Again poker isnt linear,you DON"T make steady upward profits playing poker.The flucuations dont change because you see more hands.
This is the answer i get , well I'm not doing it, but a friend of a friend i hear is really kicking butt.
by the way there probably is a small percentage of players who are having a great run at the game right now, and they possibly could run well for a while. To put this in perspective, there is probably someone having a great run at CRAPS right now and hasnt had a losing month for 3-6 months. Guess What? thats the nature of the probablities involved and they will get crushed.
Poker is a great game but dont count on providing for your family by making substantial profits online. it's not going to happen
Old 07-31-2004, 08:48 PM

Not one response to my post is by someone who has a documented record of 2plus years substantially beating low limit games online.

Of course I, and many others here, have documented records of us killing low limit games for an extended time. Do you think we're just making up these numbers?

What good would posting my results do though? If you're determined not to believe it, you can just claim that I made them up.
Old 07-31-2004, 08:51 PM

Great just document that you have been doing this for 18 months or so and this argument is over. if you will post your payout receipts for the last 9 months, that would be enough to convince me. if you would like to take me up on this and let me actually verify your results i will pay you a fee for your time and trouble.
does that sound fair or is there a better way to show me?
Old 07-31-2004, 08:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Poker is a great game but dont count on providing for your family by making substantial profits online. it's not going to happen

[/ QUOTE ]

you should read the posts by David Ross titled 'playing poker for a living'...weeks 1 through 52.
not only is it a great story that he shared with the forums while it was in progress....but it's decent evidence that what you are claiming to be unrealistic is anything but.

he did abandon the 3/6 game after only a few weeks to move to the 5/10 and then eventually the 15/30. but his income at 3/6 during those weeks was reasonable.

i have been making my full income at this for 4 months.
prior to leaving my job i was making more money playing poker at home then i was making in hourly-salary at work for 3-4 months (it was a pretty low-paying job).

i left for a semi-temporary poker-vacation with every intention of going back if/when i needed to.
i haven't needed to yet....i am bonush-chasing and getting rake-back and winning around 1-1.5BB/100 (which means i am really not THAT good of a player) and i am doing just fine and dandy income-wise.

i feel comfortable when i make around $100/day.
when i make $200/day or more then i know i am making the cut for $1k/wk.

in short - i suck...yet i'm still good enough to pay the bills via 2/4 and 3/6.
Old 07-31-2004, 09:02 PM

Ah, excuse me but Mr Millers own profile states his history to a relative degree, and please ,,, i will pay you
to document your statements , since in fact they are quite remarkable.

let me get this straight, you make 24.00 an hour right?
You play 50 hours a week so that's twelve hundred a week,
and you have been doing this for well over a year I'm sure.

So show me receipts for aprox 29k for the last 6 months along with your hand record from the site you play at so i can verify you are playing 3-6.

i will pay you $ 500.00 for your trouble. If you agree, then private message me and i will give you an email address and i will create a website for these remarkable results to be posted at. is this fair?
Old 07-31-2004, 09:07 PM

that's the point show me 50k at 36 and show mr ross's documented record.
Knowing in advance that your going to post an on going saga of your on line performance makes the results more suspect , not less. did anyone ask him to document himself?
And again, I'm sure there are people that are having great short term luck online right now. i have no doubt, that's not my point.
Old 07-31-2004, 09:14 PM

to address your previous response....i said i was making around $700/wk online...not $1200.
this is because i am not a very good player.
i suck and can see how reasonably easy it is to make $1k/wk.

i do not accept your challenge as i feel i have nothing to prove and i am not making as much as you think i claimed to be making anyway.

with regard to your 2nd response....are you actually insinuating that david's results might not be accurate??
he is an extremely well-respected poster on these forums and i truly doubt you will find many to agree with you.

you are digging a bigger hole for your ideas by suggesting that david is not genuine.
i also find it truly bizarre that you would make this suggestion...but that's just me.

i may or may not choose to respond to future posts in this thread....i feel this discussion is getting awfully ridiculous.
Old 07-31-2004, 09:17 PM

Please forgive me but 4months just isn't long enough a time. i'm happy that right now you are beating the game. i would try to save as much money as possible. good luck
Old 07-31-2004, 09:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Please forgive me but 4months just isn't long enough a time. i'm happy that right now you are beating the game. i would try to save as much money as possible. good luck

[/ QUOTE ]

Why are you so condescending? These win rates are possible, period. I don't care if you believe me or not.

-- Homer