Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2004, 03:18 PM

Default Re: Barry Greenstien is my Favorite

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think it's silly that he publicizes his philanthropy. I think it's sillier that people think it makes him a great person.
~D

[/ QUOTE ]

I never bother to post here, and the post quoted above pretty well illustrates why, but I'll futilely offer regardless: what an [censored] you are. Nobody could do less to publicize their altruism than barry does. That you can't tell the difference between reality and what you infer from television should be your own embarrassment; why don't you stick to inflicting that upon yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I could just comment on your comment. You are obviously a very accomplished multi player. If you take a look at the multitable tourney forum you will see how remarkably civil it is for any internet forum.

Many forums here are the same and I think your comment is a bit unfair.

Now of course you can choose to post or not post wherever you wish but that is my two cents.
Old 07-30-2004, 09:35 PM

I think Barry versus Phil Ivey is a great comparison. Barry does something extremely worthwhile and noble. Phil has custom made basketball jerseys with his own name on them which I find extremely obnoxious for some reason. I am really glad I saw that piece about the money Barry donates because I have a REAL reason to root for someone now instead of just saying that I like his/her because of their playing style or comments or some other surface reason.
Old 07-31-2004, 02:47 AM

He seems like a great guy. He's a great player. ..but is it just me or does Barry look like the offspring of Pee Wee Herman and Dracula. He also resembles a child molestor for some reason. He's just an odd looking fellow.
Old 07-31-2004, 05:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
....because I have a REAL reason to root for someone now instead of just saying that I like his/her because of their playing style or comments or some other surface reason.

[/ QUOTE ]

Rooting for someone because you like their playing style is hardly a "surface reason". Sounds pretty fundamental to me! Ever watched Gus Hansen?...compelling viewing regardless of what he does with HIS winnings.
Old 07-31-2004, 06:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Phil has custom made basketball jerseys with his own name on them which I find extremely obnoxious for some reason.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Phil Ivey B-Ball jersey was a FullTilt jersey. I thought it was kind of neat to see him in that rather than a boring old Full-Tilt golfshirt like everyone else.
Old 07-31-2004, 09:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Paul, while I appreciate the truth that the VVP's of the world probably make a bigger deal out of Greenstein's altruism than he does, I also have a problem with the original post. The implication is that Ivey is somehow less good a person because he does not "play for charity." The truth is, we have no idea what he, or others, do with their winnings, nor is it any of our business.

[/ QUOTE ]

Paul didn't say anything about Ivey or his character...
Old 07-31-2004, 09:58 PM

Anyone catch how he says he gives his all TOURNAMENT winnings to charity. Then the ESPN program goes on to say that he is a top cash game player. A top level cash game player can make millions in a session and that money won goes to BARRY, not to charity. Plus he sold a computer program or company (on totally sure) for millions so its not like he needs for money.
Old 07-31-2004, 10:06 PM

You have to follow the entire thread. I was replying to Paul's criticism of the guy who criticized the original poster. The implicit criticism of Ivey's character is in the original post.
Old 07-31-2004, 10:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You have to follow the entire thread. I was replying to Paul's criticism of the guy who criticized the original poster. The implicit criticism of Ivey's character is in the original post.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but I believe Duke was criticizing Greenstein's supposed "publication of his philanthropy." I don't think that Duke was arguing anything about Ivey.
Old 08-01-2004, 04:24 AM

Remember when Barry was heads up with Randy Jensen for the WPT Tunica title. Barry was bullying him around and Randy said "I'm going to beat up those kids". I think he regretted saying it as soon as the words came out of his mouth. But, it was hilarious.