Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2004, 12:59 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters
Default Re: John Kerry\'s speech

didn't listen to it, didn't read any posts in this thread, voting for him regardless
Old 07-30-2004, 02:59 PM

This seems pretty basic to me. What the hell would have been wrong with having a small glass of water nearby and a clean white handkerchief in his pocket so that when he started sweating like a pig he could have very casually taken a short 5 second break to take a little sip of water and mop all that sweat off his face.

Could have been done during one of the many times his speech was interupted anyway by the partisans giving him an ovation. Instead, he stood there pretending he wasn't sweating and trying to do the discreet flick now and then which really looked stupid.

Hey it was hot in there. Is it so bad to admit that you might be sweating? Wipe it off with a hankie for crist sakes.
Old 07-30-2004, 03:45 PM

I heard you say today we're going to have "better prosperity" in the future. Nice going.
Old 07-30-2004, 03:47 PM

The word "Democrat" was the most used word by the speakers at the convention. There probably embarrassed to say they're liberals.
Old 07-30-2004, 03:54 PM

"Really? Is the party platform irrelevant as well?"

Pretty much, yes. You know where Kerry standes on the issues: he's been a senator for nineteen years. And you know where Bush stands: he's been telling us for four years.

"So the uncommitted voters are listening to Kerry's speech with a critical eye as to which candidate is the most 'presidential' whatever that word means ?"

Yes, pretty much.

"Doesn't the electorate deserve more than pandering? Methinks they do and I know you do as well. How do you feel about Bush pandering to the religious right?"

It's an election. They're going to do what they think they need to in order to get elected. I don't know if we deserve better. We elected Richard Nixon and Ronald Reagan. Twice each. My state's most prominent politicians are Barbara Boxer, Diane Feinstein and Arnold. And we elected Gary Davis. Twice.
Old 07-30-2004, 04:08 PM

If he would have wiped it off with his tie, he would no doubt have improved the tie's appearance.
Old 08-01-2004, 03:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Kerry's speech was quite good, quite smart.

I think he'll see a pretty good spike in the polls.

[/ QUOTE ]
So are you going to start second-guessing yourself? Or just keep blundering ahead with your silly opinions?
Old 08-01-2004, 04:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think he'll see a pretty good spike in the polls.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know polls don't mean much yet but he is getting a bounce.

Kerry up 7 pts.
Old 08-01-2004, 08:39 PM

Coming out of the Democratic National Convention in Boston, Sen. John Kerry now holds a seven-point lead over President George W. Bush (49 percent to 42 percent) in a three-way race with independent Ralph Nader (3 percent), according to the latest NEWSWEEK poll The poll was taken over two nights, both before and after Kerry's acceptance speech. Respondents who were queried after Kerry's Thursday night speech gave the Democrat a ten-point lead over Bush. Three weeks ago, Kerry’s lead was three points.

Kerry’s four-point “bounce” is the smallest in the history of the NEWSWEEK poll. There are several factors that may have contributed to the limited surge, including the timing of the poll. On Thursday, Kerry had just a two-point lead over Bush (47 percent to 45 percent), suggesting that his Friday night speech had a significant impact. Additionally, Kerry’s decision to announce his vice-presidential choice of John Edwards three weeks before the convention may have blunted the gathering’s impact. And limited coverage by the three major networks also may have hurt Kerry.

Still, Kerry and Edwards have gained ground on several key election issues. For the first time in the NEWSWEEK poll, as many voters strongly back Kerry as strongly back Bush (31 percent to 30 percent). In an election expected to be decided by a small number of unaffiliated voters, independents now lean toward Kerry by a margin of 45 percent to 39 percent, with Nader pulling 7 percent. And voters are becoming more likely to predict a Kerry victory in November: Forty-four percent say Kerry will win vs. 43 percent who predict Bush.

What did you find silly? That I thought the speech was good, that is was smart, or that I thought he'd see a pretty good spoke in the polls? And where did I second-guess myself?

In the interest of clarity, may I respectfully suggest that you copy the following and fill in the blanks:

You second guessed yourself where first you said ________________ and then later you said __________________.

What I found silly was your opinion where you said _____________ and I found this silly because _________________.

Thank you.