Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2004, 04:26 PM

Default Re: Celebrating a big win

[ QUOTE ]
Then we'll call you an ass as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, c'mon. Why wait until then? Go ahead and call me one now.

After all, this place is all about class.
Old 07-23-2004, 04:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Most of the examples you mention are team sports, are competitions of a physical nature, and take place in an environment where the fans are making as much noise as possible. It's not the same as poker.

I personally don't really have a problem with Fischmans falling on the table celebration (which occurred after he'd won the whole thing, obviously winning a bracelet was the fulfillment of a dream), but I do think that the amount of whooping it up he did prior to that, and the way that he did it, was classless.

I mean, he'd knock out a short stack when he was the chip leader, and you'd have thought he just won the tourney. Often it appeared as if shaking the opponents hand was an afterthought, more something he did if they thought it was necessary. That was the impression I got anyway.

Getting knocked from a big tourney like that at that point has got to be devastating - I just think that there can be some recognition on the other players part that it's not the most enjoyable thing hearing your opponent whoop it up to the moon after he just sucked out on you. I agree with those that think that the classy thing to do is to acknowledge your opponent, shake his/her hand, and then if you want to pump your fist to the crowd you can do it. I realize that you're going to feel like doing it the second you win the hand - and in certain situations, when so much is at stake, I can see where it is next to impossible not to celebrate to an extent right away. But in other situations, I think the classy players are going to handle things differently than Scott Fischman did. I thought Kent Washington was an excellent example of that when he knocked several opponents out.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think we need to make a distinction between first time winners(newbies) and the seasoned vets. If Phil Ivey celebrated like crazy after knocking out the short stack in the middle of a tourney, that'd be classless. However, if this is the only time you'll probably ever be in a tourney this big, then go ahead and enjoy your moment imo.
Old 07-23-2004, 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Team sports, as others have said, are a bad analogy.

[/ QUOTE ]

But isn't 'the crew' a team? [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 07-23-2004, 04:43 PM

well said
Old 07-23-2004, 04:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
On another note, it's obvious that "The Crew" was out for as much publicity as possible and so I'd say there's little doubt they all agreed to ham it up as much as possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

I personally don't think that Fischman's whooping it up was anything calculated for attention or anything. I don't necessarily think we'll see the same type of reaction from certain other members of the crew either at final tables.
Old 07-23-2004, 05:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It would've been even better if he got up on his chair and moonsaulted through the table.

[/ QUOTE ]

"Moonsaulted"?
Old 07-23-2004, 06:37 PM

The difference between poker and the things you mentioned is that poker is an individual effort. When the team that wins the Super Bowl goes crazy, it's about a team celebrating what THEY accomplished together. That's different than a lone man going crazy after he wins something. You don't see that in golf. Also, this "working the crowd" after winning a hand is stupid. It's ONE hand! I'm not better than Fossilman, but eventually I'm going to have a better hand than he does (if we ever played), and I wouldn't act like a jackass because of it.
Old 07-23-2004, 07:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Team sports, as others have said, are a bad analogy. Maybe look at how someone acts after winning Wimbledon, or the Masters, or something. They fall to their knees, kiss the ground, throw a ball into the crowd, whatever... but then they always make a point of shaking hands before continuing the celebration, because it's rude to leave your competitor standing there.

[/ QUOTE ]

My problem is that he celebrated every hand like it was the championship winner with his buddies, then went way over the top with his lie down on the table after the full victory.

If he had done that celebrating with his crew after the victory was secured (and never did that lie down on the table thing), then I doubt we wouldn't be having this discussion.

The way he did it would be like a tennis player hi-fiving the crowd every time he/she won a point.
Old 07-23-2004, 08:15 PM

I don't disagree!
Old 07-23-2004, 08:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It would've been even better if he got up on his chair and moonsaulted through the table.

[/ QUOTE ]

"Moonsaulted"?

[/ QUOTE ]

Backflipped and landed ass-first to break through the table, I believe. Geez, don't you watch wrestling like the rest of the civilized world? :P