Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2004, 07:05 PM

Default Re: Party vs Stars

Here's what works for me -

Start keeping track (on paper) of how many times you get your money in with the best hand (and the win-loss results).

And track how many times you get your money in with the worst hand (sometimes it happens) and the win-loss results.

I'll bet what you find is that the best hand holds up just about as often as it is suppose to on both sites.

If I have a bad luck run, but keep getting my money in good - these notes help ease my mind.

Of course, you might discover that you are not getting it in with the best of it as often as you should. Which means you need to work on your game. That might be the most important reason for keeping track.
Old 07-12-2004, 07:11 PM

the more loose people play, the more bad beats will happen. Since Party is considered to be more loose than STARS, you will get more bad beats on Party. However thats not a bad thing, since you get payed off more on Party on 'good' beats.

edited [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-12-2004, 07:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Since Party is considered to be more loose than Party, you will get more bad beats on Party.

[/ QUOTE ]

Party has gotten so loose that it's even looser than itself?

Brett
Old 07-12-2004, 07:23 PM

wow - had no idea it had gotten so loose
Old 07-12-2004, 07:30 PM

It's poker. I've played on every large site and players at every one bitch abut it in the chat box. EVERY SITE. Look at it this way: You play good cards only, and have a 50% chance of winning against these players after the flop:

player 2) 10%
Player 3) 15%
Player 4) 25%

You have a big edge, but one of those players is going to beat you half the time - and that means that 10-1 shot is beating you, the 7-1 shot is beating you and the 4-1 shot is beating you - all to the tune of half of all pots! You win big in the long run, but you will see those longshots chipping away at you.

If you flip a coin, you win half the time - but flip it 10 times and you might lose 8 of the next ten........

When it happens you need to keep poker playing in the proper perspective *** If you are a winning player, you will win in the long run which requires patience.

Dogmeat [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 07-12-2004, 07:50 PM

'Bad beat' seems to be an overused term. The other day, when my net connection was down, I was watching the golf coverage on CBS while dealing out some hold em hands. I dealt the cards face up, and then picked the better hand, and then dealt the five community cards up.

Now, realize I could always pick the best hand. So, I often had Q4 vs Q2, TT vs 74, etc. Still, I didn't win that often. I kept track for the hell of it. Dealt out 87 hands. Anyone care to guess my winning percentage?

The results?

<font color="white"> </font> 47 wins, 40 losses. Not too good, eh? In my opinion, bad beat is a term used way too often. <font color="white"> </font>
Old 07-12-2004, 08:17 PM

i got a bad beat for ya.
roommate playin PP 3/6 limit ring game.

has JJ in hole. flop hits 10 J x
all fold cept for roommate and fish.
rm and fish raise back and forth back and forth.
turn is a dud. raise back and forth. rm has nuts, no idea what fish is thinking even with trip 10s. obvious rookie thinking he has it made or something.
river is a f*cking 10. !!!!

needless to say poor roommate loses to quad 10s to his boat.

now that SUCKS. PP fish....
[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 07-12-2004, 08:48 PM

Default Funny thing when I read this post...

was a good firend of mine and big poker player is complaing about Party Poker and has taken his money out and is thinking of going to Stars.

I had to forward him this email.

FWIW, I tell him he's nuts, it's just poker, and it happens everywhere.
Old 07-12-2004, 09:04 PM

Has anyone here EVER won (or placed top 3-4) in a big multi WITHOUT.. and I mean WITHOUT laying a pretty bad beat on someone in a key pot at a really good time??

I can't think of one multi story I've read or from my own experience where at one point you didn't have to pull out a big bad beat to propell you to the top.

On the other hand.. when I've placed I also don't GET bad beated myself too badly.

It is so amazing how much luck goes into winning a multi... not so much on one hand but collectively.

1) you need some good cards
2) you need to get action on said cards without getting bad-beated.
3) you need some good flops
4) you need to avoid "bad situations" (i.e. you have KK pre-flop and run into aces)

I mean.. damn... you can play a tournament FLAWLESSLY and I mean BEAUTIFULLY.. and still not win.

I always wonder in any tourney how many players are eliminated to "legitimate beat" vs. a "bad beat"....

I need to start keeping track myself of how I go out...
As many "bad beats" as I can think of... I can also think of plenty of "legit beats".