Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2004, 12:00 PM

Default Re: US govt security clearance and \"gambling\"

[ QUOTE ]
Uhh... right. No, actually, given the choice I'd quit poker, hands down.

[/ QUOTE ]

You may very well have to make such a choice, no joke.
Old 07-09-2004, 12:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

eastbay

[/ QUOTE ]

sweet! now the $20 PP SNGs are a lot easier!

good riddance...
Old 07-09-2004, 12:17 PM

EastBay:

Here's another suggestion - do the right disclosure thing with the IRS and then stop playing online.

Don't disclose anything to your employer and wait it out. If it comes up later, you can tell them it was a passing thing and you've stopped once you realized that it was a threat to your Security Clearance.

In the meantime -play live games that are less traceable.
Old 07-09-2004, 02:03 PM

To a certian degree it depends on which agency is doing the investigation. PM me for more info on that.

[ QUOTE ]
So, has anyone been in this spot before? Any experiences of things to do or not to do? What are my chances of having a rational discussion about advantage gambling with these folks? I am, frankly, increasingly concerned about this at the moment. I can see lots of nodding and winking as I try to explain the statistics of my results, while the investigators write things in their notebook like "rationalizes extreme gambling addiction with mathematical double-talk." Sigh.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not much hope here. I spent a great deal of time with my life under a microscope because of a similar issue. What I learned was:

1. Once they hear the word gambling or poker you are suspect.

2. ANY explination will be disbelived

3. They will crawl up your finances with a very uncomfortable microscope - because they just know that you can't win; you've got to be getting extra money from somewhere

4. If you are playing online they will dig harder due to the fact that you are gambling with a "Foreign national"

[ QUOTE ]
If you look at the stated criteria for holding clearances as documented, gambling only comes up as a potential factor in financial irresponsibility and financial difficulties.

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct - but they also look at it from a exploitation factor. Remember the trader in Japan who gambled away something like 1 billion dollars because he liked being treated like a high roller?

Depending on how hight your clearance is you're in a -ev spot. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news
Old 07-09-2004, 09:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

eastbay

[/ QUOTE ]

sweet! now the $20 PP SNGs are a lot easier!

good riddance...

[/ QUOTE ]

You seem offended by that statement. Weird.

eastbay
Old 07-10-2004, 12:50 AM

Sounds like you have a gambling problem for sure then.
Old 07-10-2004, 01:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
3. They will crawl up your finances with a very uncomfortable microscope - because they just know that you can't win; you've got to be getting extra money from somewhere

[/ QUOTE ]
A simple examination of PP's records involving deposits vs. withdrawals will answer this question with certainty. You are either winning or losing. To be getting the money from somewhere implies that you are not winning and must fund your gambling via illegal activity or whatever.

Would a person have any legal ground to stand on vs. the GOVT. in a situation like this?
Old 07-10-2004, 02:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
A simple examination of PP's records involving deposits vs. withdrawals will answer this question with certainty. You are either winning or losing. To be getting the money from somewhere implies that you are not winning and must fund your gambling via illegal activity or whatever.

Would a person have any legal ground to stand on vs. the GOVT. in a situation like this?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. Discrimination against gamblers probably wouldn't find much sympathy in a US court of law. Of course, if I was a minority, or a woman, I might have a shot...

Basically, this is a process where you are presumed guilty until proven innocent.

eastbay
Old 07-10-2004, 07:21 AM

Consult an attorney on how to handle it.
Old 07-10-2004, 05:20 PM

If you do end up "explaining yourself" to someone, the most important thing is to explain bankroll management. You never put yourself in a position to lose a significant amount of money, and if you were at great risk of losing your annual salary, you would have quit long ago.

Also, I am just now discovering that people intuitively think playing in ring games is a degenerate activity, while playing in tournaments is a competition. People can relate to the whole competing against a large field for 1st place idea, while the grinder aspect is seen as compulsive gambling. You don't even have to explain that you have an edge (even though this is important, people don't often understand it). Just explain that you are drawn to poker because of the great deal of strategy involved, and the nature of competing for 1st place (people love that stuff.)