Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2005, 04:45 PM

Default Re: Bellagio

[ QUOTE ]
Amazing how as the stakes go up, the players tip less and less and become bigger and bigger jerks. No wonder I stay at the lower and middle limits, poker is supposed to be FUN.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even the dealers write about this. Linda who deals the Bellagio and has her blog at pokerworks.com talks about how the high limit players don't tip well. Also, she writes about how since Bobby Baldwin has been playing lately, all of the experienced dealers have to deal in the big room and can't rotate out of there, which really sucks for them. I guess it's no big secret that the dealers make waaay more from tips at the lower limits.
Old 08-04-2005, 04:47 PM

Both times I played at the bellagio in the morning starting around 9 or 10 am and both times they had open tables and long waiting lists due to a lack of dealers.
Old 08-04-2005, 05:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Amazing how as the stakes go up, the players tip less and less and become bigger and bigger jerks. No wonder I stay at the lower and middle limits, poker is supposed to be FUN.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even the dealers write about this. Linda who deals the Bellagio and has her blog at pokerworks.com talks about how the high limit players don't tip well. Also, she writes about how since Bobby Baldwin has been playing lately, all of the experienced dealers have to deal in the big room and can't rotate out of there, which really sucks for them. I guess it's no big secret that the dealers make waaay more from tips at the lower limits.

[/ QUOTE ]
When the dealers say that the higher-limit players don't tip as well, do they mean that they're still tipping $1-$2 per pot and the dealer feels like since the game is so much bigger that they should be tipping more per pot, or do they mean that they actually just don't tip anything?
Old 08-04-2005, 05:45 PM

No! They literally don't tip as much as the people playing $2-$4. Amazing isn't it??
Old 08-04-2005, 06:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No! They literally don't tip as much as the people playing $2-$4. Amazing isn't it??

[/ QUOTE ]That is probably because they realize how much tipping can eat away at hourly rates. If 2/4 players want to tip a small bet or more per pot, fine, but there is nothing wrong with tipping $1 per pot.
Old 08-04-2005, 06:40 PM

Haven't played at the Wynn yet as it wasn't open last March when I went, but my Bellagio experiences are why I only play at the Mirage when I go. Last time at the Bellagio there was an argument both at my table and at the table next to me. Didn't catch how the other table's was resolved, but I'm a firm believer in the floor being the first one to know about any problems. The dealer tried to handle it herself, and it was just a mess. Little things like that have rubbed me the wrong way about it. Although I do like the softness of the players.

Mirage on the other hand is my favorite hotel, hands down. It's classy and it's close to both Fashion Show and Caesar's/Venetian shops for the lady(shopping is -EV but earns me peace + quiet). The high limit area is very spacious and even though TV viewing is tough, if you sit against the back wall you can almost recline. Always a good time when I go
Old 08-04-2005, 06:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
or do they mean that they actually just don't tip anything?

[/ QUOTE ]
They physically tip less. People are much more likely to not tip if there isn't a flop etc. At 10/20 I'm often in the minority tipping only $1 at pot. At 1/2 NL I once saw someone tip $5 after taking down the blinds preflop!!!
Old 08-04-2005, 08:26 PM

So... when these guys are playing some big/huge game... do they have green or black or whatever chips for the game and then they've got a bunch of blue for tokes? What does the rake cap out at? Does that generate $1 chips for them?
Old 08-04-2005, 08:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
at the Bellagio there was an argument both at my table and at the table next to me. Didn't catch how the other table's was resolved, but I'm a firm believer in the floor being the first one to know about any problems.

[/ QUOTE ]

yup.
the players were worse behaved at the bellagio then any place i have ever played.
not just idiot-drunks...but really temper-flareups and near-fights (and i'm sure they have occasional real-fights too).

again, i think the jammed conditions help bring about these situations.
and i agree that the floor isn't exactly jumping on the scene as much as they should.

they simply need more people....particularly on a busy weekend night for example.
Old 08-04-2005, 08:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So... when these guys are playing some big/huge game... do they have green or black or whatever chips for the game and then they've got a bunch of blue for tokes? What does the rake cap out at? Does that generate $1 chips for them?

[/ QUOTE ]
You ask a dealer to chop a chip for you and you'll get lower denom chips you can use to toke. These games are also time charge, so no rake.