Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2005, 10:56 PM

Default Re: The action continues...

Ok. The thing is, if he has rolled up trips, would he not also wait till 6th assuming we both have aces. If his read is right, free cards are of little threat to him. He knows he will only get one big street raise in this spot. I would think a bluff or light raise would be best for him on 5th street. Him three betting here would be huge, would surely knock out the original bettor and have a chance of folding me, the raiser. When he raises 6th, the parlay of getting us both to fold is less likely...it looks like he wants us both to call. What do you think of this?

That said, what do you do on 5th then? Raise? What about 6th? Check-call? I really don't think I did much talking...the banter fit into the character of the game and it was one comment. Also, I believe him when he said he had the three 8's...from the times I've played with him and the read I got during the hand.

Jeff
Old 09-19-2005, 12:04 AM

Default Re: 75-150 Stud Hand: Simple Read or Pot Too Huge To Fold?

I want to post before I raed---The action continues. The other posters have strong 8 covered pretty well. But about the other guy? Just maybe he hit a J, & this is why he is betting out again. Call me a wimp, but I fold.
Old 09-19-2005, 12:18 AM

Default Re: The action continues...

[ QUOTE ]
i dont care too many times you get to see two pair or a pair and a straight draw making this raise. especially since he didnt do it on fifth where it was correct to do so.
even palyers that dont fool around too often will do so when the hand they are against is obvious and may go out. and if he had two pair your talking would make him think it was good.

[/ QUOTE ]

huh?
Old 09-19-2005, 12:29 AM

I don't call you a wimp at all. I think folding 5th would be a reasonable play. Or, raising 5th and then if the villian coldcalls, check 6th and fold to a bet. I don't think my late street play "flowed" well on this hand.

Jeff
Old 09-19-2005, 10:04 AM

Great post Jeff, thanks for taking the time and effort.

A couple of thoughts -- I'd probably fold anything except rolled here to a solid player coming over a weaker, but not insane, player. The trouble with the other hands that have decent pot equity here is that they can brick on fourth and you can be faced with having very poor pot equity and having to either call one bet drawing slim or fold to a bet and a raise after having put in two bets on third. But perhaps I am playing too tight for the ante structure in this game. Anyway, I think rolled becomes more likely for a conservative player in this situation.

Was this by any chance Al -- an older attorney? He often plays $75-150 stud at the Taj and I have seen him make exactly this type of "save your money" play many times when playing with him (in a smaller game).
Old 10-04-2005, 09:32 AM

Bump for Beta (Hand from Ray's article)...

Jeff